Dane Leclair

Associates of 22-year-old University of Nebraska-Lincoln business graduate student Dane Leclair said he was an energetic manager for the Nebraska Volleyball and a driven student. 

A nationally-recognized volleyball player, the Democrat & Chronicle said Leclair’s high school teammates and coaches called him “The Great Dane” and referred to him as a “gentle giant.”

Leclair died on Sunday, according to the Lincoln Police Department. The report said Leclair fell from a parking garage near the corner of 7th and N streets and his death was accidental. 

In a statement released Monday, Nebraska Volleyball coach John Cook said Leclair’s death devastated the team. 

“From the moment Dane joined our program this summer, he made a lasting positive impact on all of us with his big smile and friendly personality,” he said. 

Leclair will also be remembered for his time on the Loyola University Chicago men’s volleyball team, the team’s coach Mark Hulse said in a statement. Leclair played for four seasons with Loyola from 2016-19 and also earned the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association Academic All-Conference honors four times for his academic achievements. 

"He was an unbelievable teammate, friend and member of the volleyball community,” Hulse said. “We will all miss him dearly."

Elina Ibrayeva, associate professor of practice in management, said Nebraska Volleyball was important to Leclair and he was a good student. Ibrayeva taught Leclair in an online course called Applied Organizational Behavior and appreciated his coursework. 

“Fellow students commented on the extra effort and creativity he put into team projects,” Ibrayeva said in a statement. “He also enjoyed making meaningful connections with fellow [master of business administration] students and faculty.”