n-unionroomsbrief

The newly-renamed Platte River Rooms in the Nebraska Union on Monday, August 26, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Five rooms in the Nebraska Union received new names on Thursday, Aug. 1, to pay homage to Nebraska’s history. 

Ryan Lahne, interim director of the Nebraska Unions, told Nebraska Today that the Association of Students of the University of Nebraska approached the Nebraska Union staff about updating the room names to reflect the recent renovations and the expanded use of the union gathering space for students.

Specifically, the new names honor Nebraska’s Native American heritage and landmarks. What were formerly meeting rooms 212 and 213 are now Seven Generations and Four Winds, respectively. Seven Generations is a Native American principle that present situations should benefit future generations, while the Four Winds are a sacred part of Native American culture.

To honor Nebraska’s landmarks, Colonial A became Platte River Room South, Colonial B became Platte River Room North and Georgian Suite became Chimney Rock. 

The Nebraska Unions administrative staff, Union Board and ASUN’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee members made recommendations to replace the names. 

“This is an exciting endeavor, as student leaders provided the momentum for these changes,” Lahne said. “The former names existed for over 80 years, since the union’s original opening in 1938, and reflected the spirit of that particular era.”

The Platte River, Chimney Rock, Seven Generations and Four Winds rooms received new identifying signs that match other renovations done in the building. Additionally, the entrance alcove next to the Chimney Rock room will be wallpapered with a floor-to-ceiling grayscale photo of the room’s namesake, according to Nebraska Today.