hearts of foreigners

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln has sponsored a series of lectures since January 2019 to celebrate its 150th anniversary and explore the history of Nebraska’s land-grant institution, according to the Nebraska 150 website.

Tim Borstelmann, a UNL history professor, will give the next lecture in the series, titled “The Hearts of Foreigners: How Americans Understand Others,” in the Nebraska Union Auditorium on Thursday, April 25 at 3:30 p.m.

Diane Mendenhall, the associate to the chancellor for external engagement, said Borstelmann will discuss America's feelings toward immigration.  

Borstelmann’s research centers on the intersection of America’s domestic and international history, according to his directory page. Mendenhall said his expertise will offer a historical view of how Americans’ feelings toward other nationalities has changed or remained the same over the years.

“The inclusive perspective about people from other countries is very interesting to talk about,” she said. “During this lecture, there will be a wonderful exchange where people can voice their opinions and learn from others, as well as learn the information.”

The event will also feature Borstelmann’s upcoming book with the same title of the lecture, which will be released in 2020. According to Nebraska Today, Borstelmann said people in 2019 seem to think the United States is becoming more racist or exclusive, but his research found the increase of inclusivity in recent years has reduced hostility and racism.

Previous lectures in the series discussed the Abbott sisters, who were social activists for women’s rights in Nebraska history in the 1920s, the building of UNL’s campus and the progressiveness of Nebraska’s Unicameral. Mendenhall said there are more to come, including a lecture on the history of UNL spirit during the 2019 Homecoming Week and a Husker football lecture at the Nebraska State Fair.

“The university has such an open forum to people to have great discussions on broad topics,” she said. “That’s exactly what we are trying to do with these engaging events.”