Nebraska Board of Regents has new chairman and vice chairman

Rob Schafer (right) and Timothy Clare (right) are named as the new chairman and vice chairman of the NU Board of Regents on Jan. 28, 2018.

The University of Nebraska has a new Board of Regents chairman and vice chairman.

The Board of Regents is comprised of eight elected members, who serve six-year terms, representing the citizens of Nebraska. The vice chairman is elected annually by board members and sits a one-year term before automatically succeeding to the chairman position for a one-year term. Additionally, four non-voting student regents, representing the university’s four campuses, sit the board.

Regent Robert Schafer, District 5 representative, assumed the chairman position Jan. 25 and will serve as chairman in 2018.

Schafer was originally appointed to the Board of Regents in 2013 and was officially elected in 2014. He was previously elected unanimously as the vice chairman in 2017 when two candidates for the position withdrew from the running.

Schafer is a Pawnee City native who received his bachelor’s and law degree from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He is a managing partner at Smith Schafer Davis Gaertig LLC, a farm real estate and livestock owner and operator and a lieutenant colonel in the Nebraska Air National Guard.

“I’m honored to serve as chairman of the Board of Regents at such an important time for the University of Nebraska,” Schafer said in a news release. “I look forward to continuing to join with other partners to strengthen our university and our state.”

Regent Timothy Clare, District 1 representative, was elected vice chairman.

Clare previously served on the board in various roles: he was elected to the board in 2008 and re-elected in 2014, and previously served as vice chairman in 2012 and chairman in 2013.

Clare is a Lincoln native who received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and law degree from Creighton University. He is also actively involved in the community and a partner at Rembolt Ludtke LLP.