app

The Nebraska Alumni Association launched a new app in November that allows alumni, members, fans and friends to stay connected with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

The app features alumni, athletic and campus news updates, an event calendar, issues of Nebraska Quarterly magazine, membership benefits, and Nebraska alumni social media streams, according to the Nebraska Alumni Association website. Additionally, Hilary Winter, director of digital strategy for the association, said the app will help traveling Nebraska fans find local bars and other locations to watch the Huskers. 

Winter said the app already has more than 750 downloads and continues to increase.

According to Winter, the Nebraska Alumni Association has invested in digital communication to connect with alumni regardless of their location. The Nebraska Alumni app has been one of the Alumni Association’s priorities for the past couple of years because they knew it would be important to connect with alumni in a visible and accessible way. 

“We felt like the time was right and that we could do this and get it out there and kind of lay the foundation for a strong platform and then to eventually help that lead into more things down the road,” Winter said.

Leslie Reed, public affairs director for University Communication and a UNL alumna, said the Nebraska Alumni app allows her to make connections with UNL itself and other past alumni.

“It’s important to keep those connections in place so that’s why I think it’s important to be connected with other alumni at the university,” Reed said. 

Winter said the Nebraska Alumni Association hopes to improve the app in the future by including more membership benefits like a digital membership card and various benefits targeted to app users’ locations.

“I think expanding to enhance our membership experience will definitely be a priority for us moving forward,” Winter said.

Winter said she hopes the app will continue to reconnect alumni to their alma mater and provide a space where they can always be a Husker no matter where they go.

“I love that it’s something that’s free that we can help connect someone with the university no matter where they are,” Winter said. “When they open the app and see a picture of the bell tower, they feel that little nostalgic feeling inside of them and it’s something that reminds them of a great time on campus.”