ban package

Of the seven countries named in President Donald Trump’s executive order, the University of Nebraska system has students and faculty from each – about 150 total according to a statement released by the university. In considering the impact this order might have, the first place the Daily Nebraskan thought to look was with these people. These are stories of fear, anger, confusion and hope that illustrate the human effect of this ban through a few members of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln community.

'American values will not change'

Ramin Hosseinabad was born in Arak, Iran, in 1989, one year after the end of the Iran-Iraq War. When he was 5, Hosseinabad moved to the city of Nowshahr in northern Iran, growing up in a city that neighbors both the Caspian Sea and Alborz Mountains.

'I don't understand what Trump's problem is with us'

When Mohammed Sadraddin was eight years old, his family was in search of a new home. Living a normal life in Iraq was becoming increasingly dangerous. Sadraddin's father and both of his sisters were threatened to be kidnapped, so his family decided it would be better to move.

'You can change something that is wrong'

When President Trump signed his executive order barring immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, Abdullah Almisbahi, a sophomore electrical engineering major from Saudi Arabia, began to think about his friends from the banned countries who are now stuck in the U.S.

'They are banning me from living my life'

Simin Akbariyeh has called the United States home for six years. An international student from Iran, she is working toward a Ph.D. in civil engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. When Akbariyeh heard the news about President Donald Trump's executive order banning people from her home country, along with six others, from entering the United States, she said she was shocked.

'What else can we do besides be hopeful?'

Delaram Rahimighazi, a native of Iran, is the first person in her family to come to the U.S. She always thought of the U.S. as the best country in the world, a place where she could have a better life - a place where dreams come true. As she works toward a Ph.D.

'We want to make this country great with you'

For the last four years, Hossein Dehghani has called Lincoln home. Here, he has made lifelong friends and has a successful academic career at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where he studies biomedical engineering as a graduate. He is set to graduate in May.