Johnny Carson Center Director Megan Elliott

Director Megan Elliott poses for a portrait inside the Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts on Friday, August 30, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Megan Elliott, director of the Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts, is back to work after being struck by a vehicle Monday morning while riding her bike.

Elliott said she was hit by a distracted driver and that her bike was destroyed. Although she is still bruised and sore from the accident, she said she feels lucky to be alive and grateful for the outpouring of support.

“I feel so fortunate to be part of this community and to be so well looked after,” she said. “This accident could’ve gone in a different direction.”

Elliott was released from Bryan Medical Center on Monday afternoon and returned to work on Wednesday. She said she went straight to work to prepare for IGNITE, a weekly event for Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts students featuring guest lectures, workshops and seminars related to creative development. 

This week’s event will be on Friday, Sept. 13 and will feature New York-based artist and producer Kevin Cunnigham and director and producer Tom Donahue.

Elliott said she will still be attending Lincoln Calling, a nonprofit music and arts festival, on Saturday, Sept. 21, where she will be on a panel called Closing The Gap: Facilitating Female Foundership in the Heartland.

“I think it’s fabulous that Lincoln Calling is celebrating women,” she said. “I can’t wait for us to share our stories.”

Kathe Andersen, director of communications and external relations at the Hixson-Lied College of Fine & Performing Arts, said she’s thankful to everyone who reached out with concern regarding Elliott’s accident.

“We are very thankful that she is back to leading her team at the Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts,” she said in an email.