n-hococandidates_courtesy1.jpg

The Daily Nebraskan asked the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s 2019-20 homecoming candidates to fill out a questionnaire to learn about them. These are their responses. 

Students can vote for a king and queen via MyRED from 9 a.m to 8 p.m on Thursday, Oct. 3 The king and queen will be crowned during half-time of the football game on Saturday, Oct. 5.

Not included: Sydney Mickells, Cheyenne Gerlach  

King Candidates

Braden Dvorak, agricultural economics major 

n-hococandidates_Dvorak.jpg

Hometown: West Point

Greek Affiliation: Farmhouse 

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“UNL is a fairly large university [sic] but feels like a small community to me. My favorite part is that I always see someone I know walking to class. Coming from a small town, that made me feel much more comfortable here.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“Being tapped into Mortar Board [sic]! It led to an enjoyable senior year surrounded by high achieving individuals.”

What advice would you give freshmen about starting college?

“Get involved now! The sooner you start, the sooner you begin creating intentional relationships with others on campus. I wouldn't be on the homecoming [sic] court if it weren't for me deciding to get involved early on. Also, we're all here for a degree but the most important thing you will leave this university with is the relationships you have formed while you were here! Be intentional with your time!”

If you could be any animal, what would it be and why?

“Elephant — that’s my favorite exhibit at the zoo. They seem like such calm and relaxed animals. I've heard they're also loyal. All good qualities.” 

Lukas Hall, biochemistry major

n-hococandidates_Hall.jpg

Hometown: Omaha

Greek Affiliation: Beta Theta Pi

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“My favorite part of UNL has been the people that I have met throughout my time here. The relationships I have built at this school will always be the most valuable part of my undergraduate career.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“My favorite memory at UNL was watching the solar eclipse that happened on Aug. 21, [sic] 2017. The entire campus was full and everyone was sitting on the ground. I remember I was just outside Hamilton Hall watching it.”

“Find what you love and find a group on campus that allows you to take that to the next level. Meet as many people as you can [sic] and keep an eye on your mental health.”

“An orangutan because opposable thumbs of course.”

Ibraheem Hamzat, microbiology major

n-hococandidates_Hamzat.jpg

Hometown: Chicago, Illinois 

Greek Affiliation: N/A

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“The amazing black faculty and staff on campus. [sic] As few as they are (sadly), their reach and impact is wide and immeasurable. These mental resources have been foundational to my academic and personal success.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“The many conversations I have had in Dr. Michael Combs' office. These conversations were the very definition of intellect, which is only appropriate as the late Dr. Combs was indeed intellect personified.” 

“The only thing that separates you and the upperclassmen, [sic] that you might look up to, [sic] is time.” 

“I'd remain a human because I enjoy my own company.”

Spencer Jones, biochemistry major

n-hococandidates_Jones.jpg

Hometown: Wichita, Kansas

Greek Affiliation: Pi Kappa Alpha

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“Definitely all of the incredible people that I have met during my time here.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“Dancing in the stands last year before the first game got rained out was incredibly fun, even if the actual game never got played.”

“Make [sic] time to do things that you honestly enjoy.”

“Probably just a dog so I can lay around and have people pet me all day.”

Bryce Lammers, agribusiness major

n-hococandidates_Lammers.jpg

Hometown: Fordyce

Greek Affiliation: Alpha Gamma Rho

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“My favorite part of UNL is being surrounded by people who share similar passions and goals while having the opportunity to meet people from all around the world.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“During my time at UNL, I have had the opportunity to create many lifelong memories with some incredible people. A memory that stands out to me is the AGR alumni golf tournament where undergraduates were able to interact with past members of our fraternity and learn about their time at the University and all of the great things that they have experienced.”

“The advice that I would give to freshmen who are starting college is that they shouldn't be afraid to jump in and try new things. The university [sic] is full of opportunities and experiences that will allow you to meet incredible people and develop lifelong memories.”

“A bald eagle because it is a majestic bird that stands as a symbol of strength and determination, which are qualities I strive to display in everything that I do.”

Vinny Malene, actuarial science major 

n-hococandidatesa_Malene.jpg

Hometown: Omaha

Greek Affiliation: Pi Kappa Alpha

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“My favorite part of UNL has been the different organizations I've become a part of that have given me a sense of community on campus. Eating lunch at Selleck Dining Center [sic]with my Pike buddies or grabbing coffee with my Mortar Board buddies will remain my favorite part of being at the university.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“I've had a couple of late nights studying with my two best friends, Cassidy and Carter. After long nights of making study guides and writing papers, we'd often order a Papa John's large cheese pizza as our reward. Nothing feels more like college than eating a greasy pizza at 2 a.m. [sic] on a dorm room floor.” 

“Don't play the comparison game. It's toxic to get involved in things for status-related [sic] or ego-related reasons.”

“Beaver! Beavers have great work ethic and also waddle around in a fun-loving way. I relate.”

Tait McGowan, marketing major

n-hococandidates_McGowan.jpg

Hometown: Westminster, Colorado

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“The community. No place like it.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“Going to sporting events with my best friends and cheering on my [sic] classmates.”

“Don’t worry about a damn thing, Just enjoy it!”

“Eagle. Because [sic] you’re top of the food chain and you’re most likely not captured by a human.”

Jake Modica, marketing major

n-hococandidates_Modica.jpg

Hometown: Naperville, Illinois

Greek Affiliation: Pi Kappa Alpha

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“ … First, I like how UNL is a Big Ten university but it still has a small campus that feels like a second home. I toured many other universities, but none of them had the community feeling that UNL has. That was a huge selling point for me, and the fact that I can walk from one end of city campus to the other in 10 to 15 minutes is awesome. Second, I love the people who go to school here. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly, [sic] and I really enjoy that about UNL. It has made getting to know people so much easier than it would have been going somewhere else.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“My favorite memory from UNL was when I got to work as a New Student Enrollment orientation leader [sic]. It was the best job I have ever had, and I got to meet people who have become my closest friends. Being able to work with incoming freshman was such a great experience, and I'm so glad I was able to help transition them into their new home! If anyone is considering applying for this job I would highly recommend it because it was a once in a lifetime experience for me!”

“Put yourself out there and go get involved and meet a ton of people. College is a time to learn more about who you are and figure out what drives you to be a better person. Take some risks and come out of your shell, because I know how it feels to be in a big auditorium and not know anyone. Lean over and introduce yourself to your classmate, go to your professor's office hours [sic] and set yourself up for success down the road. I love Nebraska, [sic] and I am so grateful for all the amazing experiences it has given me, and I wouldn't want to have it any other way.”

“I would say an owl. Because I am wise and have a keen eye for detail. But also because I am a night person and hate waking up before 9 a.m. Being in the College of Business [sic] has spoiled me and allowed me to sleep in since classes are later and they don't even happen on Fridays .... I also have found that I am most productive at night, and that contrary to popular belief, good things do [sic] happen after midnight.” [sic]

Jared Noetzel, psychology major

n-hococandidates_Noetzel.jpg

Hometown: Omaha

Greek Affiliation: Pi Kappa Alpha

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“My favorite part of UNL is all of the extracurriculars [sic] and the people that I have met in them. There is something out there for everyone to help enhance their college experience.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“All the highs and lows of game days being a part of the Cornhusker Marching Band.”

“Get involved in organizations, you will be able to meet people who will come to make up the majority of your support system outside of your real family.”

“I would be a duck because it's a jack-of-all-trade in the sense that it can walk, swim [sic] and fly.” 

David Weed, geography and political science double major

n-hococandidates_Weed.jpg

Hometown: Maineville, Ohio

Greek Affiliation: Sigma Phi Epsilon

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“My favorite part of UNL is being able to walk around campus and always running into someone you know [sic]. [It makes] this place feel more at home for me.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“My favorite memory has to be when GameDay came here. It was an awesome day and [I] had a ton of fun hanging out in front of Memorial Stadium all morning.”

“Get involved on campus! This is a great way to meet other students and UNL faculty, and you will be able to make connections that you can use throughout college. It will also help you develop time management skills that are very important in college.”

“I would want to be a beaver because they have always been my favorite animal, and it would be pretty neat to build a dam and chill next to it knowing that you built that all by yourself.” [sic]

Queen Candidates

Christina Berger, psychology major

n-hococandidates_Gerger.jpg

Hometown: Elkhorn

Greek Affiliation: Gamma Phi Beta

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“I love how easy it is to get involved on campus. I have never felt like I needed to choose one [recognized student organization] over another. My advisor, mentors [sic] and peers continue to be supportive of my busy schedule and encourage my involvement.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“I love the spring game [sic] every year. It is all the fun of a Husker game day [sic] with none of the pressure of a real game.”

“Be open to change. I spent so much of my undergrad trying to stick to a plan I made when I was 18, and I lost sight of what I was actually passionate about. Let your passions drive your involvement and future career. Do not try and force yourself to remain on a path you no longer love just for the sake of consistency. You have plenty of time to figure out what you want to be ‘when you grow up.’”

“A great white shark so I could be on TV during Shark Week [sic].”

Allie Carlini, community health and wellness major

n-hococandidates_Carlini.jpg

Hometown: Grand Island

Greek Affiliation: Pi Alpha Chi

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“Typical midwestern answer: the people [sic]! I have never met more authentic and kind people in my life than I have at this wonderful university. I know UNL has brought me lifelong friendships through mutual loves of Runza, Herbie Husker and corn.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“The football game against Oregon my freshman year. I didn't have a voice for days after that from yelling so much. The atmosphere in Memorial Stadium that night still gives me chills when I think about it!”

“Don't be afraid to do things that scare you and to be vulnerable. The times I've grown the most in college is when I got outside of my comfort zone and did something that absolutely terrified me. You are and can do so much more than you think.”

“A goldendoodle because they get super excited, happy [sic] and jumpy when they see people, [sic] which is how I usually react when I see someone.” 

Jayden Garrett, nutrition, exercise and health science major 

n-hococandidates_Garrett.jpg

Hometown: Chadron

Greek Affiliation: Gamma Phi Beta

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“The people [sic]! My time at UNL has given me incredible mentors and life-long friends. I also have to say [UNL] Dairy Store ice cream and the campus squirrels.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“It is so hard to choose my favorite memory from UNL, [sic] but one of my favorites is catching a hotdog during a football game! It's true that free hotdogs taste better than purchased hotdogs.” 

“Choose joy! Go on spontaneous adventures, pursue the things you love and don't let fear be your motivator. Make time for yourself and important people. Celebrate with brownies!”

“I would be a peregrine falcon because they can fly extremely fast and tuck their wings, which results in the bird version of skydiving.”

Mary Greufe, elementary education major

n-hococandidates_Greufe.jpg

Hometown: Elkhorn

Greek Affiliation: Chi Omega

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“My favorite part of UNL is the excitement of Husker Football Game Days! I am always amazed by the dedication and loyalty of Nebraska Students!”

What is your favorite memory of UNL?

“My favorite memory from UNL is waking up at 3 in the morning to go wait in line for College Game Day! It was so much fun to watch UNL be represented in such a positive way.”

“My advice to freshmen is to get involved on campus as soon as you can! After four years here, I have noticed that my constant and supportive friends have come from my involvements here on campus!”

“If I could be any animal, I would be a flamingo! Flamingos always stand very tall, poised and confident! Also, they are pink.”

Andrea Maura Harris, biological systems engineering major 

n-hococandidates_Harris.jpg

Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO

Greek Affiliation: Kappa Kappa Gamma

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“The tradition. I love the generations of families that attend this university and leave their legacies here. I'm so fortunate to have such rich family ties to this institution.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“Living in the Neihardt Residence Hall [sic]is my favorite memory, hands down. I love the architecture of the building and the amazing, life-long friendships I made there. I've shared some of my best memories at UNL with my Neihardt gang.”

“Join a club, any club. You need to create a smaller community for yourself in such a large setting. Also, take one day at a time, [sic] and keep moving forward with your week, [sic] even when it seems like nothing is going right. Success and happiness take time.”

“A pegasus because I would be glam, unique, magical [sic] and I would be able to fly anywhere.” 

Morgan Holen, broadcast journalism and advertising and public relations double major

n-hococandidates_Holen.jpg

Hometown: Elkhorn

Greek Affiliation: Chi Omega

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“My favorite part of UNL is the sense of community. We may be a school filled with thousands of students, but if you take the time to have conversations with those around you, [sic] it all of a sudden feels like family.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“My favorite memory from UNL was when I first experienced homecoming week my freshman year. There is so much tradition, game day is electric and you get to hear stories of how UNL has impacted past generations.”

“The best advice I can give to a freshman is to get involved. You are here for a college degree, but the things you do outside of the classroom will be what enhances your academics. When I went to college, [sic] my sister gave me two pieces of advice: sleep in your room, [sic] don't live in it [sic] and always take the stairs!”

“If I could be an animal, I would be a dolphin because they are intelligent and bring a little bit of joy wherever they go!”

Julia Messineo, human resources management major

n-hococandidate_Messineo.jpg

Hometown: Lincoln

Greek Affiliation: Delta Gamma

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“I love going to UNL [sic] because no matter where you are, you will always have something different to learn from the person sitting next to you. Learning this has pushed me to be more intentional with my conversations and the true meaning of listening.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“My friends and I traveled to the [University of Colorado Boulder]  game this year, which has to be my favorite UNL memory. I will never forget the atmosphere that Nebraska fans created.”

“Put yourself out there. College is the time to step out of your comfort zone in all the best ways. This will lead you to your lifelong friends, your favorite college memories [sic] and to the best version of yourself.”

“My golden retriever, Bernard. He lives his best life every day and is happy 99% of the time.”

Kayla Ney, biological systems engineering major

n-hococandidates_Ney.jpg

Hometown: Omaha

Greek Affiliation: Phi Mu

What is your favorite part of UNL?

“There are always a lot of fun events going on [sic] from food nights to speakers. I love always having new and exciting things to do.”

What is your favorite memory from UNL?

“I lived in Neihardt [Residence Hall] my freshman year, and I have so many good memories with my floor. It was such a great community!”

“Try new things, even if you don't have anyone to go with [sic] because you will meet new friends at the events you go to. If you feel stressed, there are many on-campus resources that can help.”

“I would be a cat because it would be nice to be able to nap and eat whenever I want!”