title ix

Editor's note: The Daily Nebraskan has removed some details about the victim in order to protect the victim's identity.

The Lincoln Police Department is investigating the rape of a young woman at the apartment of a former University of Nebraska-Lincoln faculty member, the Daily Nebraskan has learned.

According to the initial police report, Lincoln police were called to an apartment complex located near the Capitol on May 8 at 4 a.m. The report states that a woman was raped, but all information related to the suspect has been redacted. Lincoln Police aren’t releasing the suspect’s name, and the Daily Nebraskan has chosen not to publish the name of the faculty member, which was received through an anonymous tip.

The apartment belongs to a former faculty member of the Glenn Korff School of Music, according to an online database and neighbor confirmations. That employee no longer works at the university, UNL News Director Steve Smith said in an email.

“Because this is a personnel matter that is confidential, we cannot comment further,” Smith said in an email Wednesday.

The DN was informed of the sexual assault after receiving an anonymous tip in July. The source accused the former faculty member of raping a student in May during finals week. The source claimed to be a friend of the victim.

On Monday evening, the DN received another anonymous tip claiming details similar to the first source. The second source said the former faculty member was released from employment last week and was supposed to be voted for tenure this week.

LPD Public Information Officer Katie Flood said the case is still under investigation and no arrest has been made.

“All I can confirm is that LPD is investigating a sexual assault reported to have occurred in early May,” Flood said in an email Wednesday. “The victim reported that she knew the suspect – it was not a stranger attack.”

The investigation comes at a time when Congress, the White House and many universities have begun to crack down on campus sexual assaults. UNL is one of 200 schools helping in the White House-led effort “It’s On Us,” which aims to shift the conversation away from furthering rape culture and victim blaming.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that nearly one in five women and one in 71 men reports being raped.

A knock on the door of the former faculty member’s apartment went unanswered Wednesday afternoon. Neighbors said a Lincoln police officer had been on their floor earlier this week. Casey Berger, a senior electrical engineering major at UNL, recalled an officer knocking on the apartment door where the alleged rape occurred.

When he asked what was going on, the officer said Lincoln Police were following up on an investigation.

“The cop asked, ‘what kind of people live here?’” Berger said.

The DN reached out to UNL’s Title IX office on Tuesday to confirm that the university was conducting its own investigation of the sexual assault. Under Title IX, UNL is required to take immediate action to eliminate sexual harassment, prevent its recurrence and address its effects, even if the victim doesn’t want to file a complaint.

Arturo Perez, associate director of Equity, Access and Diversity Programs, oversees UNL’s Title IX office. He said he couldn’t confirm if the university was investigating the reported sexual assault.