n-constructionreview

As a new decade begins, The Daily Nebraskan decided to take a look back at some of the major construction projects completed during the 2010s on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s campus and in downtown Lincoln.  

Suite-style housing, 2010-13

Knoll Residential Center opened in August 2010 and was followed soon after by University Suites in August 2013 and Eastside Suites in August 2014. The University and Eastside Suites project came at a price of $71 million, according to University Communications, and added 1,034 beds to campus housing.

Pinnacle Bank Arena, 2013

Pinnacle Bank Arena, the current home of the Nebraska men’s and women’s basketball teams, opened in the Haymarket in September 2013. Construction began on the 470,400 square-foot, $179 million project in September 2011 and was “topped off” in December 2012. According to the arena’s website, it hosts around 140 annual events with a combined annual attendance of 740,000.

Adele Coryell Hall Learning Commons, 2015

This $10 million project was completed in 2015 and includes over 28,000 square feet of space for students to, “study, learn, and socialize in a comfortable place,” according to the UNL Facilities’ website. The project also included the addition of a new plaza and entryway on the north side of Love Library.

John Breslow Ice Hockey Center, 2015

The $11 million ice hockey center, which sits just southwest of Haymarket Park, was completed in December 2015. The center currently hosts UNL’s men’s and women’s hockey clubs, curling, broomball and public recreational ice skating, according to the UNL Facilities website.

Massengale Residential Center, 2017

Massengale Residential Center is the newest UNL residential hall and features both traditional- and apartment-style rooms for students on East Campus. The four-story, $37.5 million building was completed in May 2017, according to the UNL Facilities’ website.

Willa S. Cather Dining Complex , 2017

The newest dining hall on campus was completed in March 2017, replacing the old Cather-Pound dining facility that was demolished the following November. The facility serves an average of 2,800 meals a day, according to the UNL Facilities website, primarily to students living in Knoll Residential Center, University Suites and Eastside Suites.

Hudl Corporate Headquarters, 2017

The $25 million corporate headquarters of Hudl, a company that provides tools for sports analysis, opened up in the Haymarket in the fall of 2017. The new building increased Hudl’s office space from 27,000 square feet to around 85,000 square feet, according to the Lincoln Journal-Star. According to Emporis, a database for building information, the 105-foot-tall headquarters was the first new addition to the list of the 20 tallest buildings in Lincoln since the Wells Fargo Center in 1976. 

Howard L. Hawks Hall, 2017

Hawks Hall, the 240,000 square-foot home of the College of Business, was completed in July 2017. The $84 million project included 156,000 square feet of space for offices, classrooms and labs, which “significantly raises the visibility of the College of Business Administration in the state, region and Big Ten,” according to the UNL Facilities website.

University Health Center, 2018

Construction of the new University Health Center, totaling just over $43 million, was completed in June 2018. According to the UNL Facilities website, the 100,500 square-foot facility also houses the UNMC College of Nursing Lincoln Division.

Construction is showing no signs of slowing down into the 2020s, and there are several current projects underway. This list includes the Hamilton Hall renovations, the Lied Place skyscraper, the new Mabel Lee Hall, the East Campus Union, a hotel on Innovation Campus, South Haymarket Park and the new College of Engineering building.