Lincoln Children's Museum

Hogwarts will come to life for the second year in a row at the Lincoln Children’s Museum with food, drinks, costumes, trivia and Hogwarts-themed classes on Sept. 21 from 7 to 10 p.m.

“An Evening at Hogwarts” is part of the museum’s annual “Adults Only Night.” Anyone 18 or older can buy $30 tickets on the Lincoln Children’s Museum website to enjoy a night at the museum, without kids.

Last year was the first time the museum had a themed adult night. Grace Childress, the special events and development coordinator at the museum, said choosing Harry Potter as the theme for the night was an easy decision.

“We saw some other adult Harry Potter events in the community around us that have gone really well, so we decided to give it a try,” she said. “It was so successful last year that we just decided to do it again this year and make it even bigger and even better than it was last year.”

The entire museum is designed to look and feel exactly like Hogwarts. Activities will include psychic readings, potion brewing, calligraphy training and a trivia contest.

More than 500 people came to “An Evening at Hogwarts” last year, and Childress attributes the success of the event to the popularity and universality of Harry Potter.

“It is really just something that transcends time,” she said. “No matter if you’re a little kid or an adult, if you know Harry Potter then you love Harry Potter. We knew … it would be a lot of fun to turn the museum into Hogwarts.”

“An Evening at Hogwarts” is an opportunity for adults to express themselves and have fun celebrating something that brings people together as a community, Childress said.

“It’s just one night of the year that adults come and they get to go crazy as Potterheads,” she said. “They get to dress up and get to do trivia. They each have a lot of fun.”

Attendees will also have the opportunity to create their own wand. Participants can walk through a fully-constructed wand shop where they will meet a member of the museum staff who will guide them through the process.

“You will get to walk through the whole process of the wand choosing you, and then you will get a cute little box and a wand,” Childress said. “It’s a little token you get to take home.”

Food and drinks will be provided at the event by local vendors. There will be a “Great Hall” of food catered by ChefauChef and a cash bar served by Code Beer Co.

On their Facebook page, the Lincoln Children’s Museum said they are going above and beyond.

“This 18 and over event is the perfect chance for adults to come and play at the Museum, and put a little magic in their lives at the same time,” the site said. “In our second year of offering a Harry Potter-themed event, we’re pulling out all the stops!”

Even with the trivia, classes and food, Childress said participants’ favorite part of the night is the costume contest.

“People who are true Potterheads really get into something like that,” she said. “It’s fun to bring out a little competition while we are at the event. We wanted an opportunity for those really true fans to have a moment to shine throughout the crowd.”