rainbow ball

Bring who you want, dress how you want and be who you are. That is the motto for the second annual University of Nebraska-Lincoln Rainbow Ball. 

The Rainbow Ball is an LGBTQA+  inclusive homecoming dance that will be held in Kauffman’s Great Hall on Friday, Oct. 4 from 8-11 p.m. The dance will have music, hors d’oeuvres, refreshments and a photobooth equipped with rainbow props. According to the Rainbow Ball website, tickets are $5 and can be purchased online or at the door.

“When students were in high school, they may not have been able to attend homecoming with the person they wanted to or dress as they wanted to,” said JD McCown, assistant director of UNL’s LGBTQA+ Center. “We wanted to provide that space in college.”

According to McCown, Jake Piccini, a senior computer science major and LGBTQA+ Peer Mentor Program coordinator, is a big driving force behind the event, and McCown really appreciates all the work that Piccini has put into making it happen.

“I’m most looking forward to the people who are coming,” McCown said. “Lots of times if they have never been to an affirming dance before it’s a great moment for them.”

Freshman advertising and public relations major Ebben Blake said he is one of those people who has never had the chance to go to an affirming dance.

“I am excited to meet other fellow gays,” he said.

Last year was the first ever Rainbow Ball at UNL, and McCown said they felt the event was very successful. 

“Last year we didn’t really know what to expect,” they said. “But there were tons of students who were able to come, and they were all really excited and had a really good time.”

Piccini will be graduating next year, however, McCown expects the event to continue in the years to come.

“This is a student organization driven event with the resource center backing them up,” McCown  said. “I really hope it continues, and I expect it to continue because we seem to have a really great turn out.”