Halloween Bash at Knoll Art

Halloween is just around the corner, and the Honors Program Student Advisory Board and Knoll Council are putting on something festive for University of Nebraska-Lincoln students. 

On Tuesday, Oct. 29, the organizations will be hosting their first event together with a Halloween bash from 8-10 p.m. at Knoll Residential Center.

This is the Honors Program’s first year in Knoll, as it was previously housed in Neihardt. With the overlap between the Honors Program Student Advisory Board and Knoll Council, a partnership between the two was only natural, according to Knoll residence director Pankaj Desai.

“There are so many student entities now, and they all want to do something,” Desai said. “So, why not have all of them come together [to] make it bigger and more fun?”

The Honors advisory board and Knoll Council have been working together closely over the course of the semester to put on the party and cater to as many students as possible, Desai said.

The event will have no shortage of different activities, according to Brooke Schmidt, vice president of public relations for the Honors Student Advisory Board. She said one of the most anticipated events is the costume contest, where students have the chance to win gift cards for having the best costume.

Besides the contest, there will be a movie screening, s’mores, outdoor games, crafts and other events. One of the freshman Honors seminars, The Neuroscience of Zombies, will visit the party to give a crash course in the biology behind one of Halloween’s most classic monsters, Schmidt said.

Lauren Mott, president of the Honors advisory board, said the event is a good way to foster interaction between Knoll’s Honors and non-Honors residents.

“There aren’t a ton [of students who are non-Honors living in Knoll], but there are some,” Mott said. “So, we also want to make sure that they feel included.”

The Honors advisory board is looking to collaborate more with the Knoll Council on future events, Schmidt said.

“I would love to see us hosting at least one event per semester with [the Knoll Council],” Schmidt said. “I think it would be a good way to bring a lot of people together and get to know each other on such a big campus.”

The two groups won’t know for sure how well their joint-hosting endeavor went until after the bash, but Desai said it's already been a success.

“Have we been able to do more for our students? I think so, yes,” he said, “because we have at least got the leaders together.”