Jamie Bauman Courtesy Photo

No matter where she went or what she did, Jamie Bauman led her life with a positive attitude and a desire to help those around her.

No matter what stresses may have been going on in the Nebraska Veterinary Diagnostics Center bacteriology lab where she worked, Bauman always tried to brighten everyone’s day — whether that was by bringing flowers or bringing treats for those around her.

“She was one of the most outgoing and bright people that I’ve ever met,” Bauman’s colleague Dustin Loy said. “She was really what I like to call the face of our lab.”

Bauman, 39, died in a two-vehicle crash after a brief snowstorm on U.S. 77 north of Roca Road the morning of Feb. 5.

She graduated from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln with a bachelor’s degree in animal science in 2004. While in college, she was involved in the Block and Bridle Club and the University of Nebraska Rodeo Association, which she would later serve as an adviser for, according to her staff spotlight from 2016. 

In the spotlight, Bauman said she never felt connected to the work she was doing before finding an opportunity in the lab. She said she knew UNL was where she wanted to be.

As an adviser of the rodeo association, Bauman was able to interact with students and impact their lives.

“Although college is a blip on the map of a student’s whole life, I’m happy to think that, for a few of them, I may have helped them along their journey,” Bauman said in the spotlight. “Whether it be a recommendation letter for vet school or a new job, I love getting to brag on what our students have accomplished and how they have grown during their experience at UNL.”

Bauman dedicated 13 years of her life to the diagnostics center, and, according to Loy, left a tremendous impact on UNL and the scope of agriculture throughout the state. 

Loy said every interaction with Bauman was a positive one, and she was always the first to volunteer to do whatever was needed. She ran booths and promotional materials at various events and enjoyed assisting whenever she could, he said.

As a research technologist and assistant lab manager for bacteriology in the diagnostics center, Bauman assisted with efforts to test cultures for diseases impacting people across the state. Loy said Bauman worked closely with veterinarians across the state and had direct connections with the people who utilized the lab’s services at the diagnostics center.

“She would always go out of her way to make sure that those clients … if they ran out of supplies over the weekend or had some emergency, she was always willing to go the extra mile to help them,” Loy said.

When he would visit with clients or speak with coworkers, Loy said people would ask about Bauman. As the bright and outgoing “face” of the bacteriology lab, he said all of the center’s clientele knew her name and would ask about her.

“Whether they knew me or not, they always knew her,” he said.

Loy said Bauman will be sorely missed, and the impact she had on clients will be a hard gap for the center to fill.

Bauman’s family has received multiple posts on Facebook since the accident, celebrating her life and reinforcing the person she was and will be remembered as.

According to a post from the Lancaster Event Center, Bauman was actively involved with the center, serving as the Lancaster County Agricultural Society Board’s secretary for three years, and was recently re-elected to serve another term.

Bauman helped the board with several projects and was planning to assist the event center in hosting the first National High School Finals Rodeo for the National High School Rodeo Association in July, according to the post.

“There will never be someone to fill her boots with the kindness, generosity and incredible laugh that we all love!” the post said. “Huge hugs to the entire Bauman family and all her many friends & colleagues at UNL!”

Bauman is survived by her parents, James and Cynthia Bauman; her brother, sister and their respective children.

A Mass of Christian Burial is scheduled for 10 a.m. on Tuesday at the Cathedral of the Risen Christ, 3500 Sheridan Blvd., and the burial of ashes will be at a later date. A celebration of life gathering will be from noon to 3 p.m. on Tuesday at the Lancaster Event Center, 4100 N. 84th St.