International Education Week preview

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is adding three new events to its annual International Education Week to celebrate and educate campus about international cultures. 

An array of UNL programs and departments will host more than 40 events from Nov. 18-22, according to global strategies outreach officer Courtney Van Hoosen.

The week will kick off on Monday, Nov. 18, with a Global Tea Party at the Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center, a new event this year that will feature ethnic teas from across the globe, according to the Global Nebraska website. Other new events include the Global Huskers Festival on Tuesday, Nov. 19, which will be hosted by UNL students and offer attendees a variety of booths that include food, cultural decor and art, and the Global Cafe on Wednesday, Nov. 20, which will feature local restaurant entrepreneurs sharing their stories.

Other events include language conversation tables and art exhibitions, according to the website. 

Events will highlight the cultural experiences of international students, workshops, study abroad opportunities and alumni panels, Van Hoosen said. 

The week’s events will be hosted by different departments and programs at different times throughout the day to give students an opportunity to attend all of them, Baker said.

According to Nakell Baker, the International Student and Scholar Office international student success navigator, the events are hosted in order to provide students with a better understanding of global environments, international students’ cultures and global opportunities, such as studying abroad and international fellowship opportunities. 

“I think having this week gives a chance, especially to international students, to show their own culture and show their own backgrounds that maybe aren’t always highlighted in a classroom setting,” Baker said.

The week is a national joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education to help celebrate the benefits international students, international education and exchange bring to the United States, Baker said.

“My favorite part is the chance for myself to learn about new cultures,” she said. “Even though I work with international students every day, I think this is a great, easy, fun way to learn about other people that I’m not always able to have a conversation with.” 

According to Van Hoosen, UNL has hosted International Education Week since 2013, and it has grown bigger every year. Each event differs in size of attendance depending on who is hosting. For example, she said the College of Business events might attract a large population of business students compared to other events.

The week is made possible by many different organizations that pitch in to create the eventful week, Van Hoosen said. 

“We really couldn’t do it without the support of various colleges, departments, offices and RSOs on campus who organize and host events,” Van Hoosen said.

International Education Week is both for domestic students on campus to learn and appreciate more about international students, and for international students to proudly share their own culture, Baker said.

“I’m hoping that domestic students will get a chance to experience the world and experience other opportunities that they don’t usually get to experience,” Baker said. “I hope our international students have the chance to feel proud about where they come from and their place at UNL.”

new@dailynebraskan.com