N150 Fun Run Art

Thunder and lightning forced organizers to postpone the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s homecoming week N150 Fun Run on Sunday, Sept. 29.  

UNL students and members of the Lincoln community planned to walk or run the 1.5-mile course on East Campus at 8 a.m. The fun run committee will reconvene later this week to discuss if the race will be rescheduled or canceled outright, according to Alexandrea Otto, the Mortar Board’s philanthropy co-chair and a senior fisheries and wildlife major.

Hosted by Omicron Delta Kappa, Mortar Board and Campus Recreation, the run would have been UNL’s eighth annual “Jack Jog” in support of the Team Jack Foundation. 

UNL’s Black Masque Chapter of Mortar Board and Omicron Delta Kappa, two national senior honor societies at UNL, have been planning the event since April. They teamed up with the Association of Students of the University of Nebraska’s homecoming committee this year in hopes of getting more students to attend and making the entire day a team effort, according to Otto.

Mortar Board has worked with the Team Jack Foundation for multiple years because of the foundation’s focus on helping others, Otto said.

The Team Jack Foundation is a nonprofit rooted in Nebraska that raises funds for pediatric brain cancer research and works toward raising national awareness of the disease, according to the Team Jack Foundation website. The survival rate of this cancer is around 70%, the website said, and the foundation hopes national awareness can help inform others and bring new research to the table.

More than 200 people registered online to attend the race, she said, raising a little more than $500 for the Team Jack Foundation. About $5 of every $15 registration went straight to the foundation.

“It’s important that people aren’t just blindly donating to the run, that they actually are thinking about it and maybe becoming more informed through the process,” Emily Johnson, ASUN president and Mortar Board member, said.

Recognized student organizations and Greek triads who participate in homecoming and registered for the fun run will still get points for homecoming, Emily Johnson said. If canceled, T-shirts will be distributed sometime to all runners in the next two weeks.

All Mortar Board and Omicron Delta Kappa members were planning to volunteer or race at the event, Johnson said. The three philanthropy chairs of both organizations helped plan the main event, while other members were responsible for promoting it.

If anyone wants to make an additional donation, Otto said they can send a check written to “Black Masque Chapter of Mortar Board” to the City Campus Student Organization Financial Services Office, located in Room 200 of the Nebraska Union.

“As both Mortar Board and Omicron Delta Kappa’s organizations are pillared on service,” Otto said, “we are very happy to have had such a great community and campus support in order to raise awareness and donations for our local Team Jack Foundation.”