n-honorsweek

Despite being in a new building and unable to have its pancake night, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Honors Program hosted its annual Honors Week. 

Honors Week began Friday, Sept. 6 and ended on Wednesday, Sept. 11, according to an email from the Honors Program Student Advisory Board. The week included both social and informational events to help students have fun while also working on important skills, according to HPSAB president Lauren Mott. 

Patrice McMahon and Tamy Burnett, the director and assistant director of UNL’s Honors Program, said they canceled the pancake event due to new food-related policies on campus. Burnett said she didn’t know the specifics of the policies, but they prevented the program from hosting the event this year.

Burnett said they didn’t have enough time to adjust the pancake party to meet the university’s expectations. However, the week’s other events went well, McMahon said.

McMahon and Burnett said the hidden heroes of Honors Week are the members of the HPSAB. The honors administrators worked to support the activities and approve ideas while the student advisory board worked to come up with events the honors students would enjoy. 

“[Mott] is the very able and amazing president of HPSAB, and Honors Week has really been her thing,” McMahon said. “These have all been events that [HPSAB] create, develop and implement with our suggestions and input, but it’s really student-run and student-driven.”

Burnett said students participated in movie nights and game nights as well as activities that involved networking and professional development during Honors Week.

Burnett said that while Honors Week is the most activity-condensed portion of the semester, their events are not limited to that time period.

Both Burnett and Mott said that the main goal of Honors Week was to kickstart and reinforce a community feeling within the program.

“There are about 2,000 honors students across campus at any given time,” Burnett said. “[Honors Week] helps establish and build community, especially showing all the new students who come in the different opportunities and wonderful connections they can make.”

Mott said helping students come together is a priority since the honors program is so diverse in range.

“I think it’s really important for honors students to feel grouped together because we have so many different majors and so many different interests,” she said. “We’re really excited about having all of those things in one place and showing [the students] the possibilities of college and how much they can get out of it.”

This article was modified at 4:02 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 13, to correct the date honors week began.