Korff

This fall, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Glenn Korff School of Music celebrates its 125th anniversary.

The school will hold an anniversary celebration and public convocation to highlight its history on Thursday, Sept. 12, at 3:30 p.m. in Kimball Recital Hall, according to a press release from the school’s marketing and public relations coordinator Brian Reetz. The event is free and open to the public.

The celebration will include performances by faculty and students, a premiere composition by professor of composition and conducting Tyler White and a gala finale featuring University Singers and Chamber Singers, Reetz said.

Following the gala finale, a free dessert reception will be open to the public at 6:30 p.m. in Kimball Recital Hall, Reetz said in an email.

The celebration will end with a performance at 7:30 p.m. by the Amicitia Duo, which includes professor of clarinet Diane Barger and guest artist Denise Gainey. Professor of piano Mark Clinton will perform with the duo.

The idea for a school of music at UNL began in 1892, when former University of Nebraska Chancellor James Canfield asked the NU Board of Regents to create an independent Conservatory of Music, as the university couldn't afford its own music school, according to the Glenn Korff School of Music’s anniversary website

In 1894, the private conservatory began to offer courses that were transferable to UNL and performed at university functions. The NU system purchased the renamed University School of Music and hired its staff as faculty in 1930, professor of music history Peter Lefferts said in the statement. 

Lefferts said before the university’s school of music, UNL had its own music programs, such as a mixed choir and music theory classes, but the programs were limited in scope and did not involve professional training.

Junior music education major Sam Thomas said the school of music has broadened her musical skills and challenges her, and she’s excited for the remainder of her time in the music school. 

Thomas said she will perform during the public convocation as a member of the University Singers.

“It’s very rewarding [that] I get to perform with so many great musicians to showcase all of the amazing things we do at [the Glenn Korff School of Music],” Thomas said in a text message. “It’s always a great feeling to share music with people, so to do it on such a big anniversary is exciting.”

She said the school of music is important because it’s a place for students and faculty to share their passion for music and celebrate a school that offers professional training to turn that passion into a career.

“It’s important to recognize and celebrate that and celebrate music,” Thomas said. “Because music is not only enjoyed by the music majors, but it’s also enjoyed by everyone in the community who are able to attend the performances put on by [the Glenn Korff School of Music].”

Senior music performance and software engineering double major Anthony McIntosh said he was going to the reception following the convocation because he wants to see friends at the event. 

McIntosh said he thinks the school of music not only teaches students music performance but also that art is still important.

“People think nowadays that art isn’t important anymore because everyone's focused on STEM,” McIntosh said. “But as someone who also does those things, without art none of that stuff would matter anyway because art is what gets people through their day to day, that's how many people choose to survive is through art.”