Bob Kerrey Courtesy

Former U.S. Sen. Bob Kerrey will speak at the Nebraska College of Law’s annual Attorney General Jon Bruning Public Service Lecture at noon on Thursday in McCollum Hall’s Hamann Auditorium on East Campus. 

The talk is free and open to students and the public. This year's talk is titled “The Appointment of John Marshall: We Got Lucky.” According to Nebraska Today, Kerrey will discuss how his personal experiences impacted his passion for law.

The goal of the Bruning Public Service Lecture series is to promote careers in public service and careers that use law for the greater good of society, according to Molly Brummond, assistant dean for External Relations and Strategic Initiatives in the College of Law.

“Each year, this lecture provides those students with an opportunity to learn from someone who has made a career from doing just that,” she said. “[Kerrey] will certainly have much wisdom and knowledge to share regarding the need for students with all different backgrounds to serve the public interest in their careers.”

According to Nebraska Today, Kerrey served as Nebraska governor from 1983 to 1987 before serving as a U.S. senator from 1989 to 2001. He also received the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroism during the Vietnam War as a Navy SEAL officer