MLK preview courtesy photo

Civil rights activist Ruby Bridges is speaking at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln next week. 

When she was six years old, Bridges was one of the first African-American students to integrate into William Frantz Elementary School in New Orleans during the civil rights movement. Bridges will give the keynote address at UNL’s Martin Luther King Jr. week brunch on Wednesday  at 10:30 a.m. in the Willa Cather Dining Complex’s Red Cloud Room, according to Nebraska Today

The brunch is free and available to the public, but registration is required. People who did not register already will be put on the waitlist since the event is already at capacity.

The brunch will also feature the presentation of the 2020 Chancellor’s Fulfilling the Dream Award to Anna Shavers, acting dean of the College of Law. The award is given to an individual who serves the university or Lincoln in a way that King would have envisioned and hoped for, according to Nebraska Today.

The week’s events to honor King will kick off on Monday the 21th with the annual MLK Youth Rally and March. At 9 a.m., people can gather in the Nebraska Union Ballroom for a pre-rally and empowerment program and eventually the group will march to the State Capitol.

Students, faculty and staff alike are also invited to come and read books to children at child care centers across Lincoln at the Center for Civic Engagement MLK Reading Challenge on Monday from 9 a.m. to noon. This event is in partnership with Read Aloud Lincoln and Prosper Lincoln.

Dish it Up! at the Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center in the Office of Academic Success and Intercultural Services student lounge on Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. will feature Yaw Kyeremateng, a poet, artist and activist from the University of Southern California. Kyeremateng will talk about how different issues encourage him to make art and using poetry in activism. 

Also on Tuesday, a screening of “Always in Season” will show at 6 p.m. in the Nebraska Union’s Swanson Auditorium. The film documents the descendents of lynching victims talking about a violent and hateful history and how to best mend the hurt of the past.

American blues and soul singer Martha Redbone will perform at Kimball Recital Hall on Thursday at 7:30 p.m., and the week will end with a conversation about where we come from and who we want to be on Friday at 2 p.m. Assistant professor of history Margaret Huettl and Redbone will lead the conversation at the Lied Center Commons.