n-hocoroyalty

Cheyenne Gerlach and Bryce Lammers were crowned 2019 Homecoming Queen and King during halftime of the game against Northwestern at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln seniors Bryce Lammers of Fordyce and Cheyenne Gerlach of DeWitt were crowned homecoming king and queen during halftime of the Oct. 5 homecoming football game against Northwestern University.

The UNL student body elected them in an online vote via MyRED on Oct. 3. Lammers and Gerlach also received a bouquet of flowers and a football signed by Nebraska football coach Scott Frost, according to Lammers.

Bryce Lammers

Lammers, a senior agribusiness major, said he never dreamed of being on homecoming court in college, let alone being crowned homecoming king. 

However, Lammers said he was excited when he found out he was elected homecoming king.

“I went up to shake [Chancellor] Ronnie Green’s hand, and I could hardly shake his hand because I was shaking so bad,” he said. “It was just a wave of emotions.”

Lammers said his friend Gage Hoegermeyer, who was homecoming king in 2018, told him about the experience, and other friends felt it would be a good fit for him.

“I looked into it more and was like, ‘It would be a good thing to represent campus,’” Lammers said. “I thought I could do a good job.”

Lammers is vice president and membership development executive officer of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity. He is also involved with the Agricultural Economics/Agribusiness and Agronomy clubs at UNL.

Lammers said one of his favorite parts about being on homecoming court was meeting the other candidates.

“They’ve all got huge goals,” he said. “They’re doing awesome things, so it’s great to meet people with such high expectations for themselves.”

To Lammers, being crowned homecoming king means being held to a higher standard.

“You’re there to represent the university, students and staff,” he said. “It means making sure you’re there to help other people along the way whenever they need it.”

Cheyenne Gerlach

To Gerlach, a senior integrated science major, being on homecoming court was rewarding enough. She said she was shocked when she found out she was elected homecoming queen.

“I went into Saturday so grateful to be a part of the 20 students represented on court and absolutely was not expecting anything more than that honor,” she said in an email.

Gerlach said she didn’t think much of choosing UNL when she was a senior in high school, since it was her mom’s alma mater. She said she fell in love with UNL after a few semesters, which drove her to apply for homecoming court.

“[UNL] has become my favorite place in the world over the course of the past three years,” she said. “I applied for homecoming royalty out of respect for this one-of-a-kind place and out of excitement to share in its history.”

Gerlach is involved with the Engler Agribusiness Entrepreneurship Program and said it has impacted her college career.

“They were the first organization that embraced all of me for all of my crazy dreams and weird ideas,” she said.

Gerlach is also a member of Chi Omega, which she said holds a special place in her heart.

“Before joining this house, I had no idea I ever wanted or needed strong women in my life,” she said. “Now my girlfriends are my most valuable asset.”

Gerlach said being a part of homecoming court and winning has allowed her to reflect on the past four years she’s spent at UNL.

“Homecoming court allowed me to slow down and soak in the experience that comes with the exams, the classes and the meetings,” she said. “I think about myself as a freshman, and I find so much joy in knowing that I did that girl proud.”