Husker Heroes

Students wait in line for a quick on-the-go meal at Husker Heroes located in the Willa S. Cather Dining Complex on Thursday, Jan. 17, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

As a part of our initiative called Curious Cornhuskers, reader Jai Williams asked The Daily Nebraskan, “Curious about why husker heroes no longer serves soup with meals.”

Williams said the disappearance of soup from the Husker Heroes lunch menu was a huge disappointment.

The senior civil engineering major at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln said he ate most of his freshman and sophomore year lunches at Husker Heroes. The on-the-go dining option served a made-to-order sandwich, a cookie, chips, fruit, soup and a drink. “I don’t eat there anymore because it’s not filling,” he said. “It was a decent amount of soup.”

Williams said without the soup, the nutritional value of the meal is decreased.

“You get no nutritional value from a cookie or chips,” he said.

Williams said the majority of people who eat in dining halls are freshmen who don’t know soup used to be on the menu.

Pamela Edwards, interim associate director of university dining services said the soup was removed from the menu so students could save money on the on-the-go meals.

“We’re always looking for ways to keep our rates as reasonable as possible,” she said.

Edwards said students can get soup in the regular dining centers at any meal, which justified removing the option from Husker Heroes.

“I have not had any complaints about the soup,” she said. “Students seem very appreciative of the on-the-go option.”

Edwards said Husker Heroes and the other on-the-go dining centers provide students with an opportunity to get something to eat even if they’re in a hurry.

“It’s always amazing that students are so patient waiting in lines to get their sandwich, but it goes very quickly,” she said.

Edwards said she has eaten at Husker Heroes and has found the meal to be filling even without the soup.

“Often I can’t eat everything at one time, so I can save it,” she said.

Edwards said students have told her they cut their sandwich in half to save for later, or eat the chips as a snack the next day.

“We’re glad that we provide this opportunity for the students,” she said.