n-sportsbrashearken

As a part of our initiative called Curious Cornhuskers, an anonymous reader asked The Daily Nebraskan, “Why have I been seeing more girls wearing sports bras at the Rec than previous years?”

According to Amy Lanham, the senior associate director of University of Nebraska-Lincoln Campus Recreation, the Campus Rec’s advisory council changed the dress code in 2017 after a student complained.

Stan Campbell, the Campus Rec director, said the change now allows people to wear any clothing that covers their chest and buttocks.

The previous rule required people to wear a full shirt to use the strength equipment.

The Campus Rec made the change after a student wanted to know why she was required to wear a full shirt.

Campbell said this prompted him and a Campus Rec team, including its risk-management team, to investigate the previous theory that the shirt requirement helped prevent the spread of germs. But Campbell said the team found no evidence to support the theory.

The team also consulted other Big Ten universities’ recreation centers to see what they required in the dress code and found a 50-50 split between requiring a full shirt and not.

Campbell said he was glad the student stepped up to question the policy that was kept without many administrators thinking about it.

“It’s a great example of one student voice making a difference,” he said.