n-hearkendlc

The Digital Learning Center in Andrews Hall on Thursday, Feb. 14, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

As a part of our initiative called Curious Cornhuskers, an anonymous reader asked The Daily Nebraskan, “What do they do with the photos they take of you before you take an exam at the DLC?”

Any University of Nebraska-Lincoln student who has taken an exam in the Digital Learning Center is familiar with the webcam photo op right before the exam begins.

Heath Tuttle, assistant vice chancellor of Information Technology Services, said the photos are taken as a security measure and began with the now-closed College of Arts and Sciences testing center in Burnett Hall that operated before the DLC opened.

He said the photos are stored on the same ITS server that hosts the DLC registration website. The photos can be pulled up by a staff member upon request and are removed one year after they were taken.

“They are only used if there is suspected academic dishonesty,” Tuttle said in an email. “The photos could be compared to a NCard photo, or the faculty member who knows the student would view the photo.”

Drastic changes in appearance could make it hard to identify someone, but Tuttle said this isn’t an issue for the DLC.

“Even with a drastic hair change, you can typically tell if someone in one of the photos is the actual student,” he said.

Tuttle said the DLC has yet to call in a student in order to verify he or she took the test.