Cather Dining Center

Cather Dining Center is pictured on Friday, Oct. 25, 2019 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

As a part of our Curious Cornhuskers initiative, Sean Fitzgerald, a senior computer science major, asked The Daily Nebraskan, “Why did the Cather Dining Center stop serving made-to-order stir fry on Friday nights?”

Until recently, the World’s Fare section of the Cather Dining Center served made-to-order stir fry every Friday. Starting Friday, Oct. 4, it phased out stir fry on Fridays and replaced it with a rotating menu of different options. 

Joel Fogerty, the Cather Dining Center manager, said while Fridays will no longer be exclusively for stir fry, the World’s Fare section will still have made to order stir fry roughly twice every five week menu cycle.

He said the decision to change the menu was in response to a challenge by Dave Annis, director of University Dining Services, to add more variety to the World’s Fare section. 

“A lot of people got involved and worked on the menu,” Fogerty said. “I think it’s really amazing. We’re the best Asian place in town.”

Fogerty said Cather’s World’s Fare section will include more authentic Asian cuisine, and he believes the menu changes have already increased student satisfaction. 

“It’s not the same old, boring thing every day,” he said. “It changes all the time, and students really like it.”

Fitzgerald, who had gone to Cather every Friday he could, said this change will impact his future decisions to eat at Cather. 

“Before, it was a tradition for me to go to Cather every Friday,” he said. “Now it’s more on a case-by-case basis.”