Lincoln Journal Star

As part of our initiative called Curious Cornhuskers, an anonymous reader asked The Daily Nebraskan, “Is there a way to access the Lincoln Journal Star (via the Student Readership Program) online while the paper newspapers are not available?”

Drew Harrahill, Association of Students of the University of Nebraska internal vice president, said the Collegiate Readership Program only supports physical access to the Lincoln Journal Star. However, he said the 2019-20 ASUN senate approved the transition of the Lincoln Journal Star and Omaha World-Herald to digital subscriptions, like the service they have for The New York Times.

According to the ASUN Student Services page, the Collegiate Readership Program is an ASUN service funded by student fees. The service provides free and daily copies of USA TODAY, the Lincoln Journal Star and the Omaha World-Herald. It also provides free, online subscriptions to The New York Times.

Harrahill said the 2019-20 senate also voted to enter contract negotiations for The Wall Street Journal digital access to replace paper copies of USA TODAY, a decision based on spring 2020 election survey results.

Harrahill said ASUN is currently reviewing its contracts with Procurement Services. He said they hope all UNL students will have digital access to the Lincoln Journal Star, the Omaha World-Herald, The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal by July.