n-pepperhearken

Dr. Pepper dispenses from a soda fountain next to the Valentino's in the Nebraska Union on Friday, March 1, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

As a part of our initiative called Curious Cornhuskers, an anonymous reader asked The Daily Nebraskan, “Is it true that you can get Dr. Pepper from Valentino’s in the Union? (Besides already being able to at the Lutheran Center).”

Though the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is a Pepsi-only campus, Dr. Pepper connoisseurs don’t need to worry; UNL is able to purchase the beverage as part of its contract with PepsiCo.

Students can purchase Dr. Pepper at Valentino’s, as well as at Chick-fil-A and Steak ‘n Shake in the Nebraska Union. As of fall 2018, students can also find Dr. Pepper at each dining hall on campus, according to Tammi Traeger, assistant manager of food service systems in University Dining Service.

Pam Edwards, assistant director of University Dining Services, said management at each dining hall gets to decide what will be served in the soda fountains.

“From the soda that’s available to purchase, each of the dining centers makes a decision on which ones they want to include,” she said. “Kids’ taste change, so it could change every year.”

The university’s last 10-year contract with Pepsi expired in June 2018, but it has since been renewed for another decade. Sara Luther, interim assistant director of Procurement Services and Inventory, said Pepsi has a franchise right to Dr. Pepper, so the company can provide the drink as part of its contracts.

She said there is one restriction in that the contract only allows for Dr. Pepper in soda fountains; the university cannot sell packaged versions of the product.