Cops briefs, Dec. 13

• Colleen Fell
  • 0

Police investigate racial graffiti in Westbrook

Racial graffiti found on the door of a restroom stall in the basement of Westbrook Music Building prompted police assistance on Dec. 4, according to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Police Department

A UNL staff member told police the graffiti had occurred sometime between 7:30 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. the same morning. The graffiti had what police called “strong racial undertones” directed toward black people.

Police wouldn’t say exactly what the graffiti said in case they are able to link it to possible future incidents.

Facilities were called soon after the incident to clean the graffiti. Damage to the stall door was estimated at $20.

Police respond to belated report of sexual assault

UNLPD received a call on Saturday reporting sexual assault of a non-UNL student.

The assault, which was reported to have occurred earlier that morning at the Courtyard Marriott, is still under investigation.

UNL student reports robbery

Police were dispatched to The Village apartments on Dec. 6 after receiving a report of a robbery from a UNL student. The student said her boyfriend had pushed her into furniture in her room in the apartment before he took off with her cell phone. The incident had stemmed from the student not letting her boyfriend use her vehicle, she said.

The boyfriend had left the area by the time police arrived and police couldn’t locate him. A broadcast was issued with the boyfriend’s description, and police are still making efforts to contact him.

Lincoln man cited for taking UNLPD bait bike

A Lincoln man was stopped by UNLPD after stealing a UNLPD bait bike.

Christopher Spahn, 30, was found on the west side of Richards Hall on campus after police had been alerted by the bike’s GPS system.

Before Spahn took the bike, a camera recorded video of Spahn looking at bikes in the area.

Spahn told police he found the bike laying on the sidewalk but couldn’t remember where, and said he wanted to get home faster.

Police wouldn’t comment on the original location of the bike or camera.

Spahn was cited for theft by unlawful taking and was released.

—Compiled by Colleen Fell,

(0) comments

PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.

Most Popular

We're always interested in hearing about news in our community. Let us know what's going on!

Useful Links

Jazz supporters

These businesses support the Daily Nebraskan:

Newsletters