n-huskersuitup

Huskers will have the chance to “suit-up” for job interviews at the upcoming Husker Suit-Up event hosted by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Gateway Mall’s JCPenney store. 

The semesterly Husker Suit-Up event will take place from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 15. All students will receive a 40% discount on all regular, sale and clearance-priced professional attire and up to 60% off of their total purchase. 

“Have you met a student with a fantastic wardrobe for a job interview?” UNL Career Services project coordinator Alexander Hall said. “The goal is to make sure we get students into the proper attire that will help them take the next step into their career field.”

Husker Suit-Up has been occurring for the past three years after JCPenney contacted UNL Career Services with the idea. According to Hall, there are typically anywhere between 400 to 600 students who attend the event each semester, many of which have attended multiple times to refresh their professional wardrobe. 

“We had a student one year register at over $850 in merchandise, and he walked out of the store with his bill being like 150 bucks, so that puts it into perspective,” Hall said. 

Husker Suit-Up will also include casual business attire this year for students who don’t have to wear a suit and tie everyday, so students with varied careers will all be able to benefit, according to Hall. 

“You’re talking everything from trousers to skirts to shirts to shoes to belts to wallets,” he said. “It’s just a really great event. I wish I would have had something like this when I was a student a decade ago.”

Husker Suit-Up is the precursor to other UNL Career Services events such as #HireMe and a career fair. #HireMe gives students the chance to talk with potential employers and UCS career coaches about different aspects of career readiness from resume writing to networking, and the career fair helps students connect with businesses and find jobs. 

According to Hall, Husker Suit-Up is intentionally scheduled before these two events to allow students a chance to prepare for potential job interviews and professional interactions. 

#HireMe will take place in the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Sept. 18 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The career fair will take place on Tuesday, Sept. 24, and Wednesday, Sept. 25, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Pinnacle Bank Arena. 

Hall also encourages students from all grades to attend. Even though students may not be in their desired career field now, he said a lot of people end up having a job during their college career. 

“We wanted to help out students, so they offered a substantial discount, and a lot of kids nowadays shop online, so it’s a symbiotic relationship,” Hall said. “We work with them, and they work with us, so that they can bring their business to a younger generation.”