News sig

University of Nebraska-Lincoln students living in a University Housing facility who check out of their room are eligible to receive a 60% refund of remaining room and board costs, according to a statement Monday.

Starting March 30, all classes will be taught remotely. Students are encouraged to return to their permanent place of residence, according to the statement sent by interim vice chancellor for Student Affairs Laurie Bellows.

The refund covers 60% of the remaining balance on housing contracts and does not refund the full balance for the entire semester, according to an email from University Housing sent Tuesday.

Students who check out before March 24 will effectively end their housing contract on March 15, meaning they will receive a 60% refund of the room and board rate incurred from March 15 until the end of the semester.

Students who do not notify Housing of their decision by March 24 or move out after that date will receive a refund in accordance with the remaining time in the semester, according to Bellows’s email.

Justin Chase Brown, director of Scholarships and Financial Aid, said students with room and board scholarships who check out will still be refunded a portion of their remaining housing costs so they can pay for meals or housing at their off-campus locations.

The refund amount depends on what the student’s scholarship covered, according to Brown. If the scholarship paid for a University Housing and Dining Services contract, those funds will be refunded on a prorated basis. But scholarships for tuition will not.

If a student still owes a bill, Brown said the amount they owe may be lowered or zeroed out. On a case-by-case basis, depending on what hall students lived in, how much the contract cost and their prorated amount, students will receive different refunds.

Brown said University Housing will do the calculation for prorated amounts, and then the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, in coordination with the Office of Student Accounts, will calculate the refund amount based on scholarships.

Refunds will take about one month to process, according to an email sent on Tuesday from University Housing.

“We remain focused in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to serve students who have housing and meal costs, whether they are living on campus or off campus,” Brown said. 

Bellows said students unable to return home due to work, other commitments or the inability to do so will continue to be supported by University Housing and Dining Services.

Beginning Tuesday, all dining center meals will be served in take-out containers and eating in the dining centers will not be allowed, according to the University Housing website. There will be no change to Husker Heroes or Herbie’s Markets, which are already considered to-go venues.

Students are encouraged to inform Housing of their decision to stay or return home as soon as possible so Housing can plan to support students accordingly, according to the statement.

No refund for tuition and fees will be granted, Bellows said, because learning will now be done remotely.

“I continue to be impressed by the way our entire community is coming together to meet this major challenge,” Bellows said in the email. “Thank you again for your cooperation and collaboration as we undertake the unprecedented task of working together to keep each other safe and healthy.” 

This article was modified at 8:30 p.m. on Monday, March 16, to include information about updates to University Dining Services. 

The article was modified at 2:05 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17, to include information about students with room and board scholarships.