Filly Hall

Filly Hall home to the C.Y. Thompson Library on UNL's East Campus on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska. The library is housed in the old Dairy Store's location while the main building is being renovated.

The former site of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s East Campus Dairy Store is temporarily the new home of the C.Y. Thompson Library.

Due to the renovation of C.Y. Thompson Library’s main building and the Dairy Store’s move to the other side of the Food Industry Complex, the open space on the south side of the building will be used for the new library space. 

The temporary location will be in place until the renovation is complete in about 15 months, according to Joan Barnes, communications and outreach librarian for University Libraries.

Despite having less space, she said the location will still have printing services, a help desk and course reserves. There is also a small study space available.

Browsing the collections is the only thing students will not have direct access to. However, Barnes said students can still use the library’s delivery service and pick up ordered books from the Food Industry Complex. 

According to the library’s website, the space will open daily at 8 a.m. and close at midnight Sunday through Thursday, 8 p.m. on Friday and 5 p.m. on Saturday.

Barnes said the library was initially relocated to the Library Depository Retrieval Facility on the northwest part of East Campus before it moved to the Food Industry Complex.

The temporary location is advantageous because of its size, according to Rachel Williss, a sophomore agriculture and environmental science communications major and student worker at C.Y. Thompson Library

“It’s smaller and easier to keep an eye on everything,” she said.

However, she said many people think the library closed permanently, and her most common question is how to get to the Dairy Store, which is located on the back side of the building.

“Our intent was always to have us be in a central place that’s near where the library is or was,” Barnes said. “Hopefully, more students will find us [in the temporary location]. We don’t want to be without supporting the East Campus with library services.”