n-billtracker

Editors Note: The Daily Nebraskan will update the graphs in this article on a weekly basis to continue to track the amount of bills passed by student government. 

Last spring, Emily Johnson, Jared Long and Ibraheem Hamzat ran for the positions of president, internal vice president and external vice president, respectively, in the Association of Students of the University of Nebraska on behalf of the new campaign party titled Engage.

Engage campaigned under four pillars it wanted to lead the student body with: promoting student engagement, using campus resources, making environmentally sustainable choices and interacting with decision makers.

So far in the past 16 meetings, the elected officials have passed 37 pieces of legislation, including 19 related to promoting student engagement, seven related to using campus resources, four related to interacting with decision makers and one related to making sustainable choices.

According to Johnson, they have passed more legislation this year compared to November of last year. 

“[The senators] are showing great initiative in pursuing their own projects,” Johnson said on Nov. 12.

Additionally, they have sworn in new senators who serve as at-large senators and represent UNL as a whole, not a specific college. 

This article was modified on Nov. 13 at 8:20 p.m. to add in the editor's note and clarify the date of Johnson's quote and comment about the amount of legislation passed.