Big Red Welcome

The offices of Student and Academic Affairs and New Student Enrollment added new events to Big Red Welcome based on feedback from over 100 first-year students last fall.

According to Nebraska Today, the students said they would’ve liked “a more diverse range of welcome activities” to introduce them to similar students. Additionally, they suggested UNL add activities to develop skills, such as goal setting and money management, and help them learn more about campus and Lincoln. 

UNL created several small group events in response to the feedback. The new activities included interest group lunches, which allowed students to meet others who have similar interests. Students also had the chance to meet Chancellor Ronnie Green at a barbecue picnic on Friday, Aug. 23, after the New Student Convocation. 

First-year students also had the opportunity to participate in service projects through the Husker Civic Challenge on Saturday, Aug. 24, and attend community building and info sessions about campus resources on Thursday, Aug. 22, and Friday, Aug. 23.

“The transition to college from high school may be challenging for many students — after all, it’s a brand new life experience,” said Amber Williams, assistant vice chancellor of academic services and enrollment management, in a Nebraska Today article. “To make the transition as smooth as possible, we’ve created a more robust welcome week to engage, support and energize our new students. We’ve carefully selected programs to ensure that every interaction, each student matters.”