n-bigredsingers

Big Red Singers will return to the stage on Sunday evening for their first concert of the season, sharing the spotlight with Nebraska high schoolers.

On Sunday, Oct. 13, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln choral group Big Red Singers will host its first workshop at UNL with students from Waverly High School, York High School and Wahoo High School. Big Red Singers director Peter Eklund and two other clinicians will teach master courses during the day before a concert at 7:30 p.m. in Kimball Recital Hall with performances by Big Red Singers, York High School and Wahoo High School, according to UNL Events.

Though Big Red Singers has performed and worked with high schoolers in the past, Eklund said hosting a workshop at UNL allows high school students to see the work being done at a more rigorous level while improving their show choirs.

Eklund said UNL used to host a fall event where high school and college students could share the stage, and the exhibition on Sunday will mirror past events.

“[Those events were] just a fun way for the high school students to see that what they’re doing at the high school level is perfectly preparing them for what they will be doing at the collegiate level,” he said.

Parker Christensen, a junior music education major and one of three student directors for Sunday’s event, said he and his co-directors contacted high school teachers early in the semester to invite their students to participate in the workshop and exhibition.

“Big Red Singers is really just an opportunity for people to come to college who either can see themselves teaching something like show choir in the future, or just want to continue to perform because they love performing,” Christensen said. “It really paints things in a different light.”

Big Red Singers has been working on Sunday’s set since rehearsals for the season began on Sept. 3, he said. 

“Every single rehearsal matters so much and ... there has to be a lot of personal accountability by our members,” Christensen said. “And there always is.”

Big Red Singers invites everyone to come see its first official performance of the year and its first concert with York and Wahoo high schools, on Sunday evening, Christensen said.

“It’s such an incredible opportunity, and it’s a way that people can just relieve themselves from the stresses of their major,” he said. “So to be able to come together five hours a week and just make music and be around the people you love — it’s an incredible experience.”