ASUN Johnson 1.15.20

ASUN President Emily Johnson smiles during an ASUN meeting in the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2020, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska began its first meeting of the semester on Wednesday, Jan. 15, with a roll call question about each member’s vision for the upcoming year.

“After I finish my term as president, I’m going to start a vlog,” ASUN President Emily Johnson said.

The senate passed Senate Bills 19 and 20 and Government Bill 26. Senate Bill 19 intended to amend the bylaws to reflect 40 voting members in congruence with the current constitution. However, in accordance with the growing student body at UNL, internal vice president Jared Long moved to increase the number to 41.

Senate Bill 20 amended the bylaws to remedy some grammatical details and alter the membership totals of some committees. The bill passed with an amendment to change the Technology Fee Committee from an elected to a standing committee. Senate Bill 20 also addressed the duration of legislative power within committees, which allows the current committees to introduce bills to senate after their term has ended until the replacement committee has formed or the semester ends.

“When a new senate is elected, committees don’t usually get appointed for at least a month,” Long said. “If we don’t have committees for a month, everything kind of grinds to a halt.”

The senate discussed and passed Government Bill 26, which approves the rules for the upcoming ASUN election set forth by the Electoral Commission. The current senate has eight weeks left in the term, and elections for a new governing body will take place in March.

ASUN’s next meeting will take place on Wednesday, Jan. 22, in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union.

Editor’s note: To keep up to date with ASUN’s progress, check out The Daily Nebraskan’s Bill Tracker.