Web

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will meet on Wednesday, Jan. 22, to discuss four pieces of legislation.

Government Bill 27, also known as the Green Bandana Project, began when the Student Athlete Advisory Committee approached ASUN about partnering on the initiative, which has been implemented on college campuses across the nation. 

The amount of students with depression has increased by 7.6% in recent years, according to The New York Times. The bill states that the Green Bandana Project aims to combat the stigma surrounding mental health by providing students with green bandanas to tie to their backpacks, signaling they are an ally in the fight for positive conversation about mental health.

The bill, if passed, will allocate up to $500 for ASUN to purchase its share of the bandanas, which will be passed out along with resource cards to students at the Nebraska vs. Michigan men’s basketball game on Tuesday, Jan. 28, and at various locations around campus the next day. According to the bill, this initiative has been successfully implemented on other Big Ten schools, and Big Red Resilience & Well-Being and Counseling and Psychological Services are sponsoring the bill.

“This project represents how capable Huskers are of raising awareness and pressing issues when we work together,” ASUN internal vice president Jared Long said in a text.

Government Bill 28, authored and submitted by President Emily Johnson, suggests an outline of what bills the ASUN delegation is encouraged to vote on at the Association of Big Ten Students annual Winter Conference that will take place from Friday to Sunday, Jan. 24-26 at Indiana University. There will be 19 pieces of legislation to consider, and Johnson suggested that the delegation vote to pass 18 of them because they align with ASUN’s goals and ABTS’s mission.

Johnson suggested the delegation vote against an ABTS bill is titled “A Resolution in Opposition to an Escalation in Force with Iran.” According to Government Bill 28, it is overtly partisan and does not impact UNL students.

Government Bill 29 proposes ASUN holds a Student Code of Conduct feedback session in tandem with the Office of Student Affairs to garner student and faculty opinion on proposed changes to the policy. If passed, the session will take place on Tuesday, Jan. 28, from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in meeting room Regency B of the Nebraska Union.

Technology Fee Committee chair Spencer Nussrallah submitted Senate Resolution 5, which prompts ASUN to support and encourage efforts to enroll all @huskers.unl.edu emails into a security alerts Listserv to prevent scams or phishing attempts.

ASUN will discuss these pieces of legislation at 6:30 p.m. in the Platte River room of the Nebraska Union.