n-asunpreview

To kick off the new academic year, the Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will discuss four bills on Wednesday, Aug. 28. The bills’ content includes the continuation of the Converge Nebraska program, the promotion of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Explore Center’s pre-health orientation and an increase in ASUN engagement and involvement.

Government Bill 9 moves for ASUN to advertise open committee and senate positions via social media. According to the bill, ASUN would host a booth in the Nebraska Union on Tuesday, Sept. 3, Wednesday, Sept. 4 and Thursday, Sept. 12 to talk to students about the open positions. 

If passed, the bill would also establish an application deadline of Friday, Sept. 13, at 4 p.m. Speaker of the senate Drew Harrahill said applications can be found online or in the ASUN office. 

Government Bill 11 proposes ASUN senators host outreach events, which would encourage students from the senators’ respective college to apply for ASUN. 

The bill says each college’s senators would host an event prior to the application deadline if the bill is passed.

President Emily Johnson submitted Government Bill 10, which will determine if last year’s conversation series Converge Nebraska will continue. According to the bill, ASUN paired students with different political views together to meet and discuss politics.

If passed, registration for the program would take place from Thursday, Sept. 5, to Friday, Sept. 20. ASUN will schedule the meetings within a week of students being paired together, according to internal vice president Jared Long.

Through Government Bill 12, ASUN would support and promote the Explore Center’s pre-health orientation. The event will answer new students’ questions regarding subjects such as UNL’s pre-health program or preparing for graduate school. 

According to an email sent to senators, Government Bill 12 is a bill from a former freshman campus leadership associate who planned the orientation for Tuesday, Sept. 10, and Wednesday, Sept. 11, from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Nebraska Union Platte River South Room.

The senate meeting will take place in Platte River South at the Nebraska Union at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. 

“We’re all looking forward to seeing each other again,” Harrahill said in a text message. “I’m excited to hit the ground running this year.”