ASUN Sig

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will discuss three pieces of legislation related to ASUN outreach events, sustainability and electoral commission rules during the body’s weekly senate meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 28.

The Communications Committee submitted Senate Bill 15 for ASUN to distribute “goodie bags” throughout campus on Tuesday, Dec. 4 to University of Nebraska-Lincoln students studying for finals. If passed, ASUN will allocate up to $125 for the event.

Senate Resolution 4 moves for ASUN to support members of the Environmental Sustainability Committee in representing students on the Chancellor’s Sustainability Commission so student voices are heard.

ESC submitted the bill after looking at UNL’s Office of Sustainability data collected in 2017, which showed 76 percent of students want UNL to make some sort of commitment to be sustainable. Additionally, the bill points out how nine institutions in the Big 10 Conference have implemented long-term carbon neutrality plans.

According to the bill, ESC wants the university to develop a ten-year sustainability plan to benefit the human, financial and physical resources on campus.

ASUN will also vote on Government Bill 19 to establish ASUN’s electoral commission rules for the spring semester. Speaker of the senate Jared Long told senators in an email that the updated rules will remove an outdated clause regarding Committee for Fee Allocations candidate elections, touch up general inconsistencies and update dates to reflect this year's election.

Long said any student interested in learning more about how to run for ASUN next semester should stop by the ASUN office in room 136 in the Nebraska Union.

This is the last ASUN meeting of the fall 2018 semester.

“It’s hard to believe that this is our final meeting of the semester,” Long said in a text message. “The senate and ASUN have worked hard over the past few months to address a wide array of issues, but there is still a lot of work to do next semester.”

The senate meeting will take place in the Arbor Suite at the Nebraska East Union at 6:30 p.m.