ASUN Sig

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will discuss two pieces of legislation during the senate body’s weekly meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 9.

Jared Long, internal vice president, submitted Government Bill 17, which moves to require each committee to produce an outreach event in the months of October or November, so senators can engage with the student body.

If the senate votes to pass the bill, each committee will have $30 to purchase supplies for its outreach event.

Long also submitted Government Bill 18, which proposes an amendment to ASUN’s constitution.

The suggested amendment would change the election process for the president, internal vice president and external vice president. Currently, the president and internal vice president run and are elected together as a slate, while the external vice president position is voted on individually. 

This amendment would change the constitution to require that all three positions are elected together as a slate.

“Electing the executive team as a slate, rather than having the external vice president elected independently, is more in line with how ASUN operates as an organization,” Long said in a text.

Last year, the same amendment was proposed at the student election but did not pass. Amendments to the constitution require a two-thirds majority vote to pass.

“The amendment is always approved by a majority of voters, it just doesn’t reach the threshold required to be enacted,” Long said.

The meeting will take place at 6:30 p.m. in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union.