ASUN

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will meet on Wednesday, Feb. 5, to discuss four pieces of legislation, including a bill that moves to advance its official recommendations to revise the Student Code of Conduct to NU’s Central Administration.

The recommendations, outlined in Appendix A of Government Bill 32, list 11 specific changes to the document, according to an email sent by speaker of the senate Drew Harrahill. The recommendations include the addition of language to ensure that students can only be charged with breaking the code regarding substance abuse if the situation they were in was illegal. It will also provide protection for students who were unknowingly in the presence of alcohol. 

“I think all of the suggestions are really important and should be considered in the next draft,” Jared Long, internal vice president, said in a text.

Government Bill 31 moves for ASUN to support Gov. Pete Ricketts’ budget proposal for fiscal year 2020-21, which would create a $2 million fund for the Nebraska Career Scholarships Program, according to the bill.

Government Bill 33, if passed, will approve the Night of Listening event on Tuesday, Feb. 18, where students will have the opportunity to meet and talk with elected officials from the local, state and federal levels. The bill also moves to allocate up to $75 to pay for the event’s promotional materials.

According to Government Bill 34, the Office of Student Affairs matches the costs associated with campaigning for ASUN elections to make the process accessible for all candidates. The money for this has previously been taken out of the contract the university has with Pepsi, but Student Affairs believes there are better areas it could take the money from.

If passed, the bill would approve an amendment to the Electoral Commission rules, allowing the Office of Student Affairs the flexibility to choose where it pulls the money from.

The meeting will take place in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union at 6:30 p.m.