ASUN Sig

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will discuss five pieces of legislation during the senate body’s weekly meeting on Wednesday.

Before the senate meets Wednesday night, members will discuss proposed new policies on sexual relationships and bullying from the Office of the Chancellor. The policies would affect all professional staff, and attendees of the meeting will brainstorm criticism and questions to be sent to the chancellor’s office, according to the weekly briefing.

President Emily Johnson submitted the first item up for review, Government Bill 19. The bill proposes to approve allocation of $2,400 to the ASUN Green Fund’s EcoCoin project, which aims to reduce plastic bag consumption in C-Stores and on campus. The Green Fund operates independently of the senate, but projects requiring funds more than $1,250 need approval from the senate.

Sen. Madeline Reddel submitted Senate Bill 7, which, if passed, will allow ASUN to host a REACH training event for the Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts from 4:30-6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 5. REACH is a program from Big Red Resilience & Well-Being that helps students recognize the warning signs of suicide and how to help their peers, according to the bill.

“Senate Bill 7 is a personal project from Sen. Reddel,” Drew Harrahill, speaker of the senate, said in a text. “The bill has some startling statistics collected last year about the state of mental health issues in [the College of Fine and Performing Arts], which adds to the importance and timeliness of the bill.”

Sen. Dylan Dam will introduce Senate Bills 8 and 9 on Wednesday, and the amendments will be voted on at the following meeting. Senate Bill 8 amends the current policy regarding vacant positions on committees. Currently, the speaker of the senate can suggest appointments for open positions on the Technology Fee and Environmental Sustainability committees. If passed, the amendment will standardize this policy for all standing committees, resulting in more positions being filled.

Senate Bill 9, if passed, will require the Green Fund to report any fund use they approve to ASUN in order to foster better communication. The bill said it does not aim to strip the Green Fund of any autonomy, but wants to ensure ASUN is up to date on the fund’s current projects.

Sen. Jaden Roe will introduce Senate Bill 10, proposing that ASUN purchase a discounted Red 440 Meal Pack from University Dining Services and donate the meals to the Husker Pantry. This is in hopeful preparation for a larger collaboration next year, where students would be able to donate meals to the Husker Pantry individually, the bill said.

“I am very excited about Senate Bill 10,” Harrahill said in a text. “This system gives students direct access to healthy, warm food which complements the grab-and-take-home style that is currently in place.”

These bills will be discussed at the senate meeting in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union at 6:30 p.m.