ASUN Sig

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will discuss four pieces of legislation during the senate body’s weekly meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 13.

Isaac Jacobs, an undeclared freshman, asked ASUN to assist a donation collection project for his Writing and Inquiry class, resulting in Government Bill 20, according to internal vice president Jared Long.

Submitted by Long, the bill will approve the placement of a donation bin in the ASUN office, located in the Nebraska Union, to benefit the People’s City Mission, a nonprofit dedicated to helping struggling individuals in Lincoln, including the homeless, those running from domestic abuse and substance or chemical addicts. According to Long, those interested can donate any clothing items or canned foods.

“ASUN’s goal is to help students, so when we had a student approach us who wanted to collaborate with us, it was an easy decision,” speaker of the senate Drew Harrahill said. “We hope that the project is successful, and we are able to help People’s City Mission.”

Senate Bill 17, submitted by Campus Life and Safety Committee chair Roni Miller, proposes ASUN co-sponsor the upcoming Walk the Row event on Sunday, Nov. 17, at 10 a.m. when members of the community are invited to walk through Greek Row and City Campus. 

After the march, participants can stick around Auditorium A of Hawks Hall to take part in a panel discussion or tour the interactive booths. The event is sponsored by The Bridge Behavioral Health and UNL’s Collegiate Recovery Community to raise awareness of collegiate alcohol and substance abuse.

Miller also submitted Senate Resolution 3, which moves to recognize the new mental health and well-being addition to the TIPS Incident Reporting System. The incidents reported on TIPS are sent to Counseling and Psychological Services and Big Red Resilience & Well-Being.

Sen. Saisha Adhikari submitted Senate Resolution 4 to recognize and support the Global Huskers Festival. The festival will be on Tuesday, Nov. 19, from 6 to 9 p.m. at Memorial Stadium Gate 7 and is intended to give domestic and international students the chance to interact and learn about each other.

The senate will discuss this legislation in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union at 6:30 p.m.