ASUN art

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will meet on Wednesday, Jan. 29, to discuss reducing its carbon emissions from travel and supporting an initiative to lower the state’s age of majority for healthcare decisions.

Senate Bill 24 was submitted in the wake of an ASUN delegation traveling to Indiana for the Association of Big Ten Students Annual Winter Conference. The bill proposes ASUN purchase carbon offsets to make up for the carbon emitted by the travel. If passed, ASUN will allocate up to $24 to the UK company CO2balance to help improve safe water access in Rwanda, according to the bill.

If passed, Government Bill 30 will officially express ASUN’s support of LB1036, which would lower the age of majority in Nebraska for healthcare decisions from 19 to 18. Nebraska Sen. Adam Morfeld introduced the bill, and the Nebraska Unicameral Legislature will hold a public open hearing regarding the bill on Friday, Jan. 31, at 1:30 p.m.

According to an email from speaker of the senate Drew Harrahill, two guest speakers will discuss revisions to the Student Code of Conduct during open forum, including emeritus law professor John Lenich. 

“I think we’ll have a fruitful discussion on the Code of Conduct,” internal vice president Jared Long said in a text.

The meeting will take place in the Platte River room of the Nebraska Union at 6:30 p.m.

Editor’s note: To keep up to date with ASUN’s progress, check out The Daily Nebraskan’s Bill Tracker.