Jared Long 2/5/20

ASUN internal vice president Jared Long raises his gavel during a meeting in the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2020, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will meet on Wednesday, Feb. 12, to discuss three pieces of legislation related to increased security for student accounts, the upcoming I Love NU Day and awareness of the free Adobe Creative Cloud products available for students.

According to Government Bill 35, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln will move to require students to use DUO Two-Factor Authentication for their university accounts to protect their information as well as the university’s. According to DUO’s website, a password alone is not enough to protect an account, and two-factor authentication combats safety risks by requiring two methods of identity confirmation upon log in. 

The bill proposes that ASUN work with UNL’s Information Technology Services to promote May 15 as the deadline for students to transition their university accounts to DUO on their own. After May 15, all university accounts will be converted to DUO by ITS. If the bill passes, ASUN will hold a booth with ITS on Tuesday, Feb. 18, to inform students of the deadline.

Government Bill 36, if passed, will express ASUN’s support of I Love NU Day. The University of Nebraska system will host the event from 1:30-3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Mar. 10, at the Nebraska State Capitol building, according to the bill. According to the NU website, the first activity will be a short program, followed by all supporters gathering on the balcony to be recognized by the Nebraska Legislature. Finally, attendees can either visit with state senators or listen to floor debate. If ASUN passes the bill, it will officially endorse the event and ask Nebraska Legislature to prioritize higher education.

“Students from all four NU universities will come to talk to our state senators about the impact of our education,” ASUN speaker of the senate Drew Harrahill said in a text. “We encourage all students to come lobby.”

Senate Bill 25 addresses the free Adobe Creative Cloud products that are available to all UNL students and the low awareness surrounding them. The bill proposes that ASUN promotes upcoming Adobe Creative Jams, events offering students incentives to use Creative Cloud products. The bill also says that if 20 students register for the first Jam on Friday, Feb. 21, ASUN will help coordinate the pizza kick-off party.

The meeting will take place on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union.