Web

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will discuss six pieces of legislation during the senate body’s weekly meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 2.

Sen. Dylan Dam submitted Senate Bill 2, which moves to increase the total number of members in the Government Liaison Committee from 10 to 15. The senate discussed the bill at their last meeting, and they will discuss and vote on the bill this week.

Sen. Lauren McNeal submitted Senate Bill 3, proposing ASUN co-sponsors the LR171 forum at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 7, in the Nebraska Union.

If passed, the senate will co-host the forum in tandem with Nebraska Sen. Adam Morfeld to study the impact of lowering the age of majority in Nebraska from 19 to 18 in regards to healthcare decisions, according to the bill.

“I’m very excited for Senate Bill 3 because it supports legislation that affects all Nebraskans, not just students at UNL,” speaker of the senate Drew Harrahill said in a text.

Sen. Roni Miller submitted Senate Bill 4, which proposes ASUN sponsors a “Be Kind to your Mind” event on World Mental Health Day, Thursday, Oct. 10. 

If passed, senate members will volunteer at the booth that day and pass out free buttons while promoting mental health resources for students on campus, according to the bill.

Sen. Spencer Nussrallah submitted Senate Bill 5, which gives students an environment to talk about cybersecurity.

If passed, members of the senate will be expected to attend one of the three cybersecurity-themed escape rooms sponsored by UNL’s Information Technology Services to promote October as National Cybersecurity Awareness Month.

Harrahill submitted Senate Bill 6, which proposes members of ASUN attend the public presentations of the executive vice chancellor for academic affairs candidates.

President Emily Johnson submitted Government Bill 16, which proposes the senate approve the amendments made by the faculty senate to their bylaws surrounding the suspension of professional staff members. 

If approved, the amendments will go to the University of Nebraska Board of Regents.

The meeting will take place at 6:30 p.m. in the Platte River Room in the Nebraska Union.