ASUN file art

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will discuss eight pieces of legislation during the senate body’s last weekly meeting of the semester on Wednesday, Dec. 4.

At last week’s meeting, Government Bill 22 was tabled after lengthy discussion on whether the #FlipToGreen initiative, which the bill was in support of, was adequately accessible for students with disabilities. #FlipToGreen is a project being done through the Nebraska Union beginning spring semester, where students dining in the union will have a flippable placard at their table they can use to indicate if others can join them, according to the bill.

Government Bills 23 and 25 are funding approvals for the Green Fund. Government Bill 23 moves for ASUN to allocate $2,250 for their single-use water bottle reduction project, where members of the project will pass out 200 free reusable water bottles to students while educating them on the harms of single-use plastics.

Government Bill 25 proposes that ASUN allocate $1,920 to allow the Green Fund to make this year’s CornHack event a zero-waste endeavor by providing reusable water bottles and compostable utensils to all participants and volunteers, according to the bill. CornHack is a coding competition held for more than 24 hours where undergraduate students work in teams of four and problem solve using technology skills, according to the project’s application.

Government Bill 24 is a routine approval of the Electoral Commission Rules, which ASUN must approve every semester. 

Senate Bill 19 is a bylaw revision adjusting the minimum amount of voting members in senate from 38 to 40. According to an email sent out by Drew Harrahill, speaker of the senate, this revision is aligning the bylaws to match the current ASUN constitution. 

Senate Bill 20 is another bylaw revision, addressing the roles and membership of standing committees. The most significant changes included in the revision are the maximum or minimum at-large members per committee. 

The Communications Committee’s maximum amount of at-large members reduced from 10 to five, the Campus Life and Safety and Academic committees’ maximums increased from six to 10, the Technology Advisory and Fee Committee’s maximum increased from five to seven, the Environmental Sustainability Committee’s maximum decreased from 12 to 10 and the Student Services Committee’s maximum was increased to three from its previous zero.

Also addressed in the revision is the term for which committees carry legislative power. If the revisions are approved, after the installation of a new student government, outgoing standing committees will continue to exert legislative power until either the new committee holds an official meeting or the semester ends.

Senate Bill 21 proposes that ASUN hold a booth in the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Dec. 11, to promote donations to the Husker Pantry.

Senate Bill 22, if passed, will approve the 2019-20 bylaws for the Committee for Fee Allocations, as described in Appendix A of the bill.

ASUN will meet in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union at 6:30 p.m.