ASUN Sig

With the fall semester drawing to a close, the Association of Students of the University of Nebraska is setting its sights on spring through three new pieces of legislation during its meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 20.

Government Bill 21 addresses the next president of the University of Nebraska, and Government Bill 22 supports a new initiative in tandem with the Nebraska Unions. Senate Bill 18 suggests a movie screening to connect international and domestic students.

President Emily Johnson submitted Government Bill 21, which asks ASUN to officially endorse Walter “Ted” Carter as the next NU system president. Johnson states in the bill that Carter’s commitments to improving mental health, diversity and equity impressed ASUN.

In Government Bill 22, internal vice president Jared Long asks ASUN to sponsor a booth in the Nebraska Union the first day back after winter break. If approved, ASUN will use the welcome back booth to hand out flyers and donuts to students in support of #FlipToGreen, an initiative where students could use colored cards to indicate whether their tables were open for others to join them. The flip-cards set up in the Union will be a trial run of the project, and ASUN hopes to potentially expand them to Love Library and the dining centers.

The 2018-19 ASUN members sent a delegation to Purdue University in January for the Association of Big Ten Students conference. There, they heard about #FlipToGreen. ASUN has been working with the Nebraska Unions to bring the project to the university, which is set to debut at the start of the spring 2020 semester.

“Government Bill 22 is the final product from work that started last year,” Drew Harrahill, speaker of the senate, said in a text. “It’s exciting and rewarding to see something start as an idea spurred from collaboration [and] be implemented a year later.”

Diversity and Inclusion Committee Chair Saisha Adhikari submitted Senate Bill 18, proposing ASUN sponsor the screening of “American Factory,” a documentary detailing the workplace differences between American and Chinese cultures. If passed, the movie will be screened from 6-8:15 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 22, in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union.

The senate will discuss this legislation in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union at 6:30 p.m.