ASUN September 4, 2019

Mar Lee, a Dear UNL member, spoke about Dear UNL and their up-and-coming events during an ASUN meeting in the Nebraskan Union on Sept. 4, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska passed one piece of legislation concerning the Cover the Cruiser event during the senate body’s weekly meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 4.

Before the senators discussed the bill, Mar Lee, a member from the Title IX reform group Dear UNL, spoke during open forum about the Dear UNL Exhibition: Time’s Up UNL. 

The exhibition will share Dear UNL members’ stories related to sexual assault, and Lee said the event features sensitive content. Members of the public are invited to attend the event at Sand Paro Studio on Friday, Sept. 6, from 7 to 10 p.m. 

“There’s an urgency to this issue to make sure we not only have adequate [services] for survivors of sexual violence, but making sure that the systems we have in place to investigate these matters are also adequate,” Lee said. “Right now, what’s on paper and what’s being practiced are two very different things.” 

President Emily Johnson submitted Government Bill 13, which moves for ASUN to co-sponsor the Cover the Cruiser event. 

Cover the Cruiser is supposed to raise awareness of domestic abuse and end relationship and sexual violence, according to the bill. The event is hosted by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Police Department and University Communications and is scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 10, on East Campus, Thursday, Sept. 12, on City Campus and Friday, Sept. 13, on City Campus. 

According to Campus Life and Safety Committee chair Roni Miller, participants are encouraged to write a positive message to support survivors of domestic violence on a sticky note and place it on a police cruiser. 

The bill passed, so ASUN members will volunteer at the event from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and promote it via social media. 

Internal vice president Jared Long said ASUN will relaunch the conversation series Converge Nebraska at Husker Dialogues on Thursday, Sept. 5. Additionally, he announced that ASUN would like to host another student leadership summit this year. 

“We’re hoping to take that, do it again and elevate it to bigger heights this year,” Long said. 

The next senate meeting will take place at the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Sept. 11.

This article was modified at 12:41 a.m. on Thursday, Sept. 5, to correct the date of the next meeting.