n-asun

Internal vice president Jared Long indicates a speaker is ready to present during open forum at the weekly meeting for the Association of Students of the University of Nebraska in the Platte River room of the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska passed six pieces of legislation at their weekly meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 2.

Three new senators were sworn in to start off the meeting, Jacob Gideon, Sarah Babcock and Cara DeMers. DeMers and Gideon represent the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Business, and Babcock represents Exploratory and Pre-Professional Studies. 

“We’re excited to be closer to filling the senate body,” Jared Long, internal vice president, said in a text. “We operate as a student government better when we have a full slate of people who are passionate about making a difference on campus.”

During open forum, senior political science and sociology double major Jackson Belva spoke to senate regarding his nomination of President Emily Johnson for the award “Woman of Impact” through the news organization Politico. Recipients will be honored at the Women Rule summit held in December.

The senate passed Senate Bill 3 by acclamation, approving ASUN’s co-sponsorship of the upcoming LR171 forum at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 7, in the Nebraska Union with Nebraska Sen. Adam Morfeld. The forum will conduct research in the hopes of lowering the age of majority in Nebraska from 19 to 18 in terms of healthcare, according to the bill.

“[The age of majority being 19] causes a lot of problems for students,” Sen. Lauren McNeal said, who also sponsored the bill. “Especially for international students, who have to call halfway across the world to get their parents’ consent for medical care.”

Senate also passed Government Bill 16. Since it passed, ASUN approves the faculty senate’s bylaw revisions.

Members passed Senate Bill 2 concerning the number of members in the Government Liaison Committee. Set in motion, the bill said it will increase the amount of possible members in the GLC from 10 to 15.

“I think GLC did a great job last year with voter registration, and I think they will only do even better with more people,” Drew Harrahill, speaker of the senate said.

Senate passed Senate Bill 4 by acclamation, approving a “Be Kind to your Mind” booth for Thursday, Oct. 10. According to the bill, ASUN will give out 500 free buttons in support of World Mental Health Day.

The members also passed Senate Bill 5 by acclamation, which states that senators are expected to attend an escape room hosted by UNL Information and Technology Services to promote cybersecurity awareness.

Additionally, senate passed Senate Bill 6, which encouraged senators to attend the public presentations of the executive vice chancellor for academic affairs candidates.

Sen. Dylan Dam moved to elect a new appointment to the Environmental Leadership Program. Sen. Luke Gomez nominated Sen. Luke Andersen, who was appointed. The ELP is intended for freshmen and sophomores interested in sustainability at UNL, according to ASUN’s website.

The homecoming concert on Thursday, Oct. 3 featuring Snakehips, which was planned to be held outdoors has been moved into the Lancaster Event Center due to the expected rain and damp weather, according to President Johnson.

President Johnson also reported that the Student Leadership Summit originally planned for Tuesday, Oct. 29, will be moved due to scheduling issues. She said she could not reserve a room at the Nebraska Union that day and she is working on finding a new day.

The next senate meeting will take place in the Nebraska Union’s Platte River Room on Wednesday, Oct. 9, at 6:30 p.m.