Web

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska will discuss three pieces of legislation to start off the spring semester on Wednesday, Jan. 15.

In old business, the senate will vote on Senate Bills 19 and 20, which are both bylaw revisions. Senate Bill 19 moves to make the amount of elected members with voting privileges outlined in the bylaws the same amount as the amount of members dictated by the constitution. If passed, the bylaws will be amended to reflect 40 voting members instead of the current 38.

Senate Bill 20 addresses some awkwardly worded phrases within the bylaws and adjusts the amount of members in some of the committees, according to the bill. If passed, these irregularities and membership totals would be amended.

In new business, the senate will review and approve the ASUN election rules submitted by the Electoral Commission in Government Bill 26. The Electoral Commission is typically made up of two faculty or staff members, the director of administration, a member of the ASUN executive team and appointed members, according to internal vice president Jared Long. However, the commission is currently lacking both an appointed director and members, Long said.

“I’m just excited for everyone to be in the same room, so we can get into the swing of things,” he said in a text.

Ted Carter, the new University of Nebraska president, will make his first visit to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus this week, and the senators have the option to have a pizza dinner and discussion with him on Thursday.

ASUN will meet at 6:30 p.m. in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union.